Training? When do you shoot?

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
So like most of you here, I am starting to train for the fall for a couple mountain hunts. This includes a mixture of cardio training, strength training, and shooting the bow. My question is how often or when do most of you shoot? Do you shoot first and then workout or vice versa? Also, how many arrows? I usually shoot 3-4 dozen a few times a week.

I have found I think I like to go cardio then strength then shoot, but this leads to short or wobbly/innacurrate practice session because my back and shoulder muscles are already fatigued. You could say however that its ideal because you get the most value training your shooting muscles when they are already tired. I am not a morning person (unless hunting) and have a job such that I am working from the time I get there till the time I leave, so all this occurs in the evening. What works for you?

elkmtngear

Feb 21, 2011
I'm lucky enough to be able to get my cardio and strength training in while I'm at work (I have a treadmill in my office, and I do pushups, crunches, and triceps "supersets" throughout the course of the day).

So, when the weather is good, I shoot my 3Ds when I get home. I usually only shoot about a dozen arrows per night, and of course I try to make every shot count (I shoot compound, bare bow, with fingers). I do not like to overdo the shooting, because of a somewhat bum right shoulder. By the time Season rolls around in late August, my shoulder usually feels pretty good, along with the rest of my body. That's what works for me!

Best of Luck.
Jeff

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I started doing my own version of Crossfit at home, typically I help get the kids in bed, and by 9:30pm I can get out in the garage to do my training Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I can finish up by 10pm. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturday I will Run at the local park to get my cardio. Sometimes I don't get to run untill 9:30 or 10pm at night (darn kids have all kinds of things going on). I try to shoot my bow in the basement (20yds) as soon as I get home from work, typically 30 to 50 arrows. As soon as I can shoot outside I might shoot a few more arrows.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
I try to shoot at least 4 days a week in the spring and summer. Over the winter here I can't even shoot in my back yard because of the snow. 7 feet and 30 bellow is just too much for me every day. I shoot a half dozen times a month in the winter.
In the spring/summer I shoot the odd evenings but mostly in the morning. 2 or 3 dozen shots while you drink you coffee in the yard is pretty nice.

Elkcrazedfrk

Feb 21, 2011
I do a little crossfit,but mostly stick to lower body and core. Those are the two areas that your going to use when it comes to hiking the mountains and hills. I mix cardio and strength.. ie..jogging hills,sprinting hills,lots of stairs.I've tripped more than once due to serious fatigue. Endurance is whats gonna matter most when you find yourself on day four of an elk hunt. Lots of hard cardio mixed with strength training builds great endurance. I try and shoot every day,even if its only 12 arrows.

Mar 19, 2011
Battle Creek MI
I have found I think I like to go cardio then strength then shoot, but this leads to short or wobbly/innacurrate practice session/QUOTE]

Consider shooting a dozen arrows before your workout then proceed as you currently are with the rest of your circuit. Gaining confidence and knowing our limitations is as important as anything. Shooting prior to muscle fatigue will supply your confidence when your later shooting session is a little erratic.

shed

Mar 10, 2011
30 years ago I began shooting first then lifting and running. Once in awhile I mix it up and reverse it.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I think sometimes the best thing is to run a few sprints, and then shoot. That way your muscles are not fatigued so you can still aim, but the sprints get your heart rate up to simulate having to run those last few yards to get your shot or maybe simulate that buck (or bull) fever that we all get.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I shoot when I get bored. I shoot in the hall of my house During winter. 20 ft or so hall, so not too long. When the snow goes away, I can take it outside again, and I have range up to what ever I like.
This last week and the week before, I was shooting one arrow to keep from breaking them in the house. My groups at the 20 ft range where not getting better. 2-3" groups with occasionally punching the same hole 2-3 times. ( I shoot 8 shots then analyze.)
Today I finally figured with two weeks straight, its not me, so I dug out my go to hunting arrow from last season, switched up the head to target tip, and went at it.
I flinched bad once from a long hold and other than that 7 holes a dime could cover. Guess thats why I like that arrow!
Cant wait to take it outside, get some distance shots going, and tune it in for the upcoming spring bear fun!

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I usually don't shoot after my workout. I shoot year around 3-4 times a week. Once the weather gets nice I go to the 3D range and it's got all types if terrrain so you get to exercise the legs it's almost like hunting since you have a lot steep hills to climb then shoot. Works for me!

S&S Archery

Apr 2, 2011
Boise, ID
www.sandsarchery.com
I would say you are best to just mix it up. You definitely don't want to shoot too much after doing an upper body workout. If you are shaky and having a hard time holding on target all you are going to do is develop bad habits like punching the trigger. Also if your arms / shoulders are tired and you are having a hard time pulling the bow back you'll develop bad habits there as well.

Shooting 12 good arrows is way better than shooting 40 bad ones. Always practice good form and shot execution and you'll become a better shot.