The Retro Arizona Javelina Hunt.................

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Well, since I didn't draw a javelina tag down in Arizona this spring I thought that I would entertain you folks with one from 24 years ago. It seams like it was such a short time ago.

At this time 24 years ago 6:10 pm Mountain time myself and 3 others were headed to Arizona for the spring HAM's hunt that starts on the upcoming Friday. When I left my home I was fighting a snowstorm pulling a 16' trailer loaded with 4 4 wheelers hoping that as I got lower in elevation the better the weather would be. I had just gotten done with a 9 hour work day like the other 3 so we were eager to get on our way to a warmer climate. I had one other person in my truck and the other two with in a separate vehicle. We planned on stopping in Grand Junction, Colorado and getting a dinner of KFC Hotwings and then head out again.

We hit Grand Junction and it was snowing hard. We got our hotwings to go and put a dozen or so packets of their hot sauce onto them and headed to the west on I-70. Once we got into Utah the storm let up some and there was no snow sticking to the roads, I crossed my fingers hoping that the rest of the trip would be the same way. We headed south on US 191 towards Moab, and Monticello, Utah. My luck didn't hold. About 20 miles north of Monticello we hit the snow and snow covered roads. We fought the snow all the way through Utah to the Arizona line and across it. When I pulled into Keyenta, Arizona I pulled into a parking lot and parked my truck. The other two in the other truck pulled up and asked me what my plan was. I told them that this spot was as far as I planned on driving that night while I was pulling a trailer. I figured that the roads would only get worse. I told them that if they had to be in Phoenix in the morning to take off and that we would push on when the sun came up. They decided to stay.

The next morning the sun came up to a beautiful morning no clouds and dry roads. i could of keep on going the night before but you never know and I was still happy that I had stopped for the night. The other hunters in the truck took off and left us in the dust so to speak. Once we were on US 89 and headed south into Flagstaff we hit the ice on the roads. there were trucks and cars off the road all over the place, I locked in the hubs on my truck and shifted it into 4 hi and pressed on. Once in Flagstaff I had to fuel up, when I got out of my truck I fell flat on my rear from the ice that was on the parking lot. I fueled up and we headed south on I-17 at a snails pace of 30 mph. We must of seen a dozen wrecks as we headed south. Numerous cars and trucks that had ran off of the road the night before and were now abandoned. Then there were those who decided to fly past me only to spin a couple of circles and hit the 2 or 3' of fresh snow and bury their vehicles. We watched at least 2 cars that rolled over ahead of us when they went off of the road. I would slow down to watch them crawl out of a window and just chuckle, we pressed on to Phoenix. It didn't take too long before the ice on the roads turned to water. I took my truck out of 4 x 4 mode and was able to actually pick up some speed.

We stopped in Black Canyon City and got some breakfast/brunch. I can't remember the name of the joint but it is on the north end just a short drive off of the freeway. Now this is the kind of place that you better be hungry. I ordered a platter of briskets and gravy which when it showed up were enough to feed 4 hungry men. Roy my partner ordered a flat stack of pancakes and about passed out when he saw the size of the platter. There were only two pancakes but they were close to 18 inches in diameter. These were meals fit for some hungry folks.

Once we were done with what we could eat and a pot of coffee we headed back on out. We were on our way again on Thursday morning running about 7 hours late. I called Jim who was in the other truck and told him where we were and he said that he would meet us in Apache Junction so we headed that direction. We pulled into the motel parking lot in the late afternoon. Checked in and unloaded the trucks and started to get ready for the hunt that started on Friday. It was nice and warm, no snow and we were ready. Bob our friend from Catalina was going to meet us at the motel the next morning at 6 am and take us out to the hunting area. This was the first time that we had hunted this area so we had no idea of what to expect. But the main thing was that we were in Arizona and we were going hunting.

More tomorrow.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Friday morning came and there were now 6 of us ready to hunt along with Bob who was going to show us the area. We loaded up and headed to a coffee shop to pick up some coffee and donuts and we were off following Bob as he headed down the highway. He took a turn off and headed down an old road that was partially paved. This was the old road that led to a town that was displaced by a copper mine. We passed a vehicle coming out and we were then shortly at a parking area. As we pulled in the vehicle that we had passed pulled in behind us. It was an officer from Arizona G&F. He asked us what we had planned since there were now 6 ATV’s and a dune buggy, we told him that we were headed out hunting and the then asked for our licenses and began checking them as we unloaded. Out of 6 hunters I was the only one who had signed it which is the law down that way. So as he lectured the other 5 I continued unloading ATV’s. Then he asked Bob for his and Bob then told him that he wasn’t hunting but showing us the area, he asked Bob if he was guiding and Bob said that he wasn’t and that we were friends and that he was a local and had hunted the area before. He was satisfied and we were on our way. I decided to ride with Bob in his buggy so I hopped in and away we went with a trail of ATV’s behind us.

We headed down a gas line road into a wash and then headed south stopping every now and then to check tracks and then to continue on. We had gone through a couple of gates when Bob saw some javelina tracks crossing the wash. He said that they would wander back and forth as they fed and that the odds were that we would cross them again shortly which we did. About a half mile later I looked up on the hill to our right and saw them. There was a small herd up on a saddle getting ready to head over to the other side. I jumped out and got ready for the chase. Roy and Selly decided to go with me while the others continued up the wash. We headed up the hill at almost a run to catch up with them. As we crested to saddle where they had crossed we couldn’t see a thing. Then I saw them down in the bottom headed for the next hill, down the hill we went. We got down to the bottom and headed up the hill only to see them at the top and headed over. Up the hill we went. Once on top we saw them again down in the bottom and heading for the next saddle. So off we went. Just as we were about to top out on the next hill we decided to slow down and catch our breath and get ready for them in case they were in range. I was using a Thompson Contender with a 7-30 Waters barrel and the other two were using 50 caliber muzzle loaders. We hit the top and saw them. They were on the next ridge over but within range. We all picked out one and pulled the triggers at once. We had no idea if we had hit any so off I went to check them out. I got over to the hill and didn’t find any blood, I got onto their trail and followed it up and over the hill and looked out into no man’s land. I figured that all three of us had missed and it was time to head back. Now the problem was figuring out just where we were. I knew that we had crossed 2 or 3 washes and pretty much just needed to head back to the east so off we went. We got back to the 2 ATV’s but Bob was not around to give me a ride. I decided to head up onto a hill and do some glassing and while I was just getting high enough here came Bob. He had sent the others on ahead and he had come back to get me and then to catch up with the others.
We caught up with the others and continued looking for tracks without seeing much. At about noon I asked Bob to take me back to the parking area and that I’d get my ATV so off we went. When we were at the parking area a lady showed up and had her kid run over to us and ask us if we wanted to buy some tamale’s? We asked them how many they had and how much they were. We handed them $40 for 20 homemade tamale’s, we then headed down to find the others. You should have seen the looks that we got when we showed up with 20 still hot tamale’s. We passed them out and had a fine lunch.

We spent the rest of the day checking out areas without seeing a thing. As the sun set we were headed back to the motel for dinner and a few beers.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Saturday came and we decided to split up and go into different areas. Roy and I headed to the south while most of the other group headed back into the washes to look for tracks with Bob in the lead.

We hadn’t gone very far from the main road when we crossed some tracks. We drove down the wash a little ways further and found them crossing again and again. It was a herd of around 7 or 8, the last time that we saw where they crossed they were headed to the east of the wash so we decided to see if we could find them. There were quite a few little draws where they could have headed into so we carefully checked each one of them out. The ground is so rocky that it was quite difficult to pick up a track but we could see one every now and then. I topped out on top of one of the draws and saw the tail end of one heading through the brush. I figured that I had it made. I headed in the direction that he had headed only to find a eight foot tall fence with signs telling me to stay out. It was the border of the Tiger Paw copper mine. Reluctantly I turned around and headed back to my ATV. Roy had the same experience except he hadn’t see any javelina. We decided to head up Tucson Wash to a gas line road and then circle back to where the others might be.

Once on the gas line we found that we were on top of a ridge running back to the east. We stopped at one point and hiked into a fairly large bowl and as Roy was almost to the bottom of it he spooked a dozen or so javelina out of the bottom. I was far enough away that all I could do was to watch as they went down into a bottom wash and up the other hill several hundred yards away. Roy was wandering around down in the bottom so I headed down to talk to him and tell him where they had gone. We decided to see if we could find them thinking that they would run a ways and then stop since we hadn’t fired a shot at them. When we got to the top of the hill that they had gone over I looked at it and it looked very familiar. It was the same location where we had chased them on the opening morning except now they were headed the other direction. There were a couple big canyons that we decided to check out so off we went. A few hours later I had circled around and met up with Roy who had gone the other direction. We figured that it was time for a late lunch so back to the ATV’s we went.

After lunch we continued down the gas line and down into a wash. We only had one way to go since a gate at the top of the wash was locked with a big PRIVATE PROPERTY sign on it so down the wash we went. We came to a confluence of another wash and headed up it. A short ride up this one and we met up with the other hunters and Bob. There was a large long draw to the east of us that a couple of us decided to hike up and check it out. We had one person in the bottom of it and another on the far side about half way up and I took the other side about half way up stopping often to glass what was ahead of the others. As we neared the top the hunter in the bottom spooked a small herd out of the bottom. They came close to running over the hunter on the other side, I just watched as they topped the hill and were out of sight. Since I was close to the top of the hill I circled around watching the downhill side the direction that they had gone. The other hunters had come up and over and were wandering around trying to find them, but they were long gone. They headed straight back to the ATV’s and I hiked down the ridge to find a real nice pocket where I thought that there just had to be something in it. I sat down and glassed a bit and not seeing anything I headed down into and out toward the wash that we had driven up. Just as I got down into the wash and into the cat claw jungle I jumped one. All I saw was this little black thing going through the brush like his tail was on fire. He was all by himself but I figured that I might have a chance to fine him if I could stay on his tracks. This I found was next to impossible in the bottom of the dry wash and rocky hillsides. When I got back to my ATV the others were sitting around in some shade, we decided that we had had enough for that day since it was getting late. Bob told me that I could go up this wash to a power line road and then over to another wash to come out just below where the trucks were parked so Roy and I headed that way as the others continued down the wash that we were in.

It was close to dark by the time that we got back to the trucks so we loaded up and headed back for some food and beer.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Sunday was the last day for everyone except for Roy and me. We headed across the main wash into a new territory. One of the draws that we went up had a pretty good flow of water in it. It only ran about a hundred yards but it was flowing. On our way up this one we didn’t see a single track except for the cattle that are on the range. We drove up to the end of it and Roy and I decided to take a hike and let the others decided what they wanted to do. Selly decided to come with up so up the hill we went. This area was a lot rockier than the other hills that we had hiked and the rock was a lot looser, if you didn’t watch it you would end up on your face or fanny in a hurry. Once on top of the hill I hiked down the other side a ways to glass a very large open area with small draw crisscrossing it. After glassing a bit I found a small herd of whitetail deer but that was about all I was seeing for wildlife. I headed to another area and ran into Selly who hadn’t seen anything either. We headed up to a taller peak to check out a different area where we found Roy napping under a mesquite tree. As we walked up on him he jumped up thinking that we were some kind of wild animal coming to eat him or something. At least we had a little bit of excitement that morning.

That afternoon we all decided to go different directions. I wanted to check out some areas to the north and the others took off the directions that they wanted to go. After a short ride I found an old mine shaft and decided to check it out. I tossed a rock into it and counted to 16 before I heard it hit bottom, I decided that this was a good hole to stay away from. I walked around a bit and found a horizontal shaft that headed towards the vertical one that I had tossed a rock into. So back to my ATV to retrieve my flashlight so that I could check it out. I walked in about five yards when the tunnel had a slight dogleg to the right, I shined the light around it and headed a short distance further. When I shined the light around the next corner I saw a black and white tail that was sticking about three feet straight up. I decided that I wanted nothing to do with a skunk so I hightailed it out of it. When I got out I thought to myself that these old mines can be dangerous in more ways than one.

I took a few more roads checking things out and at around 5 I decided to head back to the trucks and to load up. A couple of the others were there when I got there so we loaded up the ATV’s and waited for the rest to appear. Shortly after the rest showed up, we loaded up and decided that it was time for some margaritas down at the local bar and grill where we had been eating dinner at. Two of the other hunters had an 800 mile trip to get home on Monday so that they could go to work on Tuesday. Bob told us that he would meet us at the motel the next morning.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Monday through Thursday found us in a routine of driving washes and looking for tracks along with taking hikes to check out tops of draws trying to find the javelina.
One day I was up above Roy on the top of a very long draw when I saw a herd come out of the bottom and head straight to him. I tried to get his attention but he was focused on something else. He finally saw me waving my arms and I pointed in the direction that they were coming from straight at him. They managed to go past him fast enough that he was unable to get a shot off with his muzzle loader. We tried to follow them but had problems picking up their tracks until we got into the bottom of a wash and could see where they had crossed. We spent the rest of the day up on the hills around that area looking for them but never did see them again.
Another day we took a ride with Bob in his buggy. He stopped at a draw above a windmill and took a short hike up the hill, he came back and got us and said that he had seen one laying down up the draw. We took the hike up to where we could see him and just as Roy was getting ready to touch off his muzzle loader the javelina took off like he was shot out of a cannon. It is surprising at just how fast those little buggers can run.
We also took a lot of little side trips up roads and did a lot of hiking getting to know the area. Just about all the areas that we hiked were good areas but there were no javelina to be seen. We did however see a lot of mule deer, rabbits, coyotes, foxes, and other critters. I got a shot one day at a coyote who was coming up a ridge as I was walking down it. We were about ten yards apart when we saw each other and I did my Matt Dillon imitation when I drew my .41 mag old model Ruger Blackhawk and took a shot at him. That shot hit right between his front legs and a few inches low. That dog did a about face and was out of the county in a matter of seconds.
Every night when we returned to the motel we would wash up some and then head to the local bar and grill that served as our watering hole. Great Mexican food and margaritas were on the menus each night before we would head back for a good nights sleep.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Friday came all too soon, we started out doing the routine that we had been doing for the last few days. Driving the washes and looking for tracks. We headed up one wash and over the power line road to the middle wash. Then we headed towards the locked gate and a gas line road and then down into another wash. We were now further north than we had been before and it was all new country. Bob showed up and told me to take a road and follow it to a location. He told Roy to take another road and that he would meet me at the same location, so off we went. I got to the spot before Roy did and waited, a short time later here came Roy with Bob showing up shortly. Bob then told me to head down another road and told Roy to head down a separate road and that we should meet up at another location, off we went in two different directions only to show up at the same place. We hadn’t seen a thing in these trips and we were now to the north of the main wash and it was time for lunch so we found some shade and dragged out a few things to eat for lunch.

After lunch we headed back to the south and across the main wash and up the center wash. I was in the lead and I completely didn’t see a set of tracks crossing it. I went up to a windmill and waited for the other two. When they didn’t show up I headed back down to where I found Bob’s buggy and Roy’s ATV parked near where the tracks had crossed. Bob was up on the hill to the west so I hiked up to him, he said that Roy was further up the hill and that the javelina should be down in the draw that we were now above. We dropped down off of the ridge line to where we could see the bottom of the draw a lot better and worked our way up the draw. We reached a point where another draw came in from the south west and then saw them. There were about 10 or 12 javelina making their way down the draw feeding as they went. I was too far for a shot and needed to make my way down the hill to a better spot. Once I was down close enough I found that I could no longer see the bottom since there was too much brush, so I headed down into the draw itself. I found a bush in the middle of the draw and got down on my knees and waited for them to come to me. When they came into sight I saw a fairly large one and I decided that he was the one that I wanted. I had my TC Contender out and cocked as they came nearer. I needed to wait for the one that I wanted to clear some brush before I could take a shot but then I noticed another one on the side of the draw that was close to being behind me. With the slight breeze that was blowing in my face I thought that if he got wind of me that they would be gone in a second and I wouldn’t get a shot. So I changed my target. The javelina was about 10 yards away when I placed the sights on its shoulder and pulled the trigger, at the shot the whole draw exploded with javelina running every which way. I had the one that I was thinking about shooting come past me on a dead run at about 2 feet and then all was still. Bob came down off of the hill and asked me why I had dropped down into the draw, I explained it to him but it really didn’t matter I had my javelina.

Bob took off to see if he could find Roy to get him onto the herd that was now scattered. I took care of the cleaning duties and packed my javelina down the wash about half a mile to where our ATV’s were at. I hung him up into a shady bush and sat down to enjoy the time until the others showed up. I looked at my watch and it was 3pm. At about 4:30 Bob came down the draw and told me that Roy had gotten one also and that if I was a good friend that I would drive my ATV up the draw and give him a ride. Once I got through the thick brush in the very bottom it was easy going. Roy was a few hundred yards above where I had shot mine and he welcomed a ride out. Once out we took a few pictures and then headed back to the truck.

It had been a long week. By the time that Friday had rolled around we were starting to feel all the hiking that we had been doing. I know that myself that my hips felt like they wanted to leave me, I asked Roy if his hurt and he said that his did also. But it was a good type of pain. It wasn’t bad we had two javelina in the last half of the last day. We were two happy hunters. Now for the long 800 mile drive home.

Bob with the javelina

The area that we bagged our javelina

What we usually saw

Two happy hunters, I'm on the left a few pounds lighter