Tarptent Protrail or SMD Skyscape Trekker

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Guys & Gals
I also posted this on another forum cause I want to try and get my decision right but I really value the great advice here on Eastmans
tttoadman has given me his good opinion and I am hoping for more before I pull the trigger. I do a lot of wilderness hunting and pack in with my feet. Camp is anywhere from 2 to 6 miles in. I now carry a BA Copperspur UL3 I absolutely love. There are many days where I may be chasing Elk at dark quite a ways from camp and want to sleep right there instead of hiking back and crawling into the BA. I am about to pull the plug on a new tent. I am NOT a bivy or hammock guy and I like a floor. I am looking at two very lightweight 1+ tents particularly the Tarptent Protrail or Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker. I am hoping some of you good folks own one of these and can give me your opinion, moisture control concerns me with the single walls. This would not be a 4 season tent - early fall hunts in the high country that can see any type of weather but normally not much. I am open to other TENT options but to keep this on track the tent needs to be extremely packable (the Pro Trail will fit in a pocket of my pack) weigh in around 25 ounces or less and use trekking poles for support. I am not a tall guy at 5' 8". I have looked at some CF tents but as it will not be used on a constant basis I am not sure I want to spend double the money. Any pros and cons of these two designs (or others as long as they meet my criteria) are truly welcome!
Edited to mention I have also looked at an LHG Solo that is 27 oz's but double walled which sure helps with the condensation issues. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

crzytrekker

Jan 14, 2016
Crawford, Colorado
I know this thread is from 2015, but I've had good experiences with my ProTrail. I used my ProTrail extensively in across Western Colorado in 2016; Lost Creek Wilderness, Raggeds Wilderness, Grand Mesa, West Elk Wilderness, and BLM lands.

If you use the ProTrail as part of an ultralight system, your back will thank you. I use a Sea-to-Summit Ultralight Pad and an Enlightened Equipment 20 degree down quilt. For summer trips all the way into late September here in Colorado, my load out (with 1 liter of water and food for three days) is under 20 lbs.

The ProTrail is extremely quick and easy to setup, and easy to break down in the morning. I much, much prefer it over my one man Hilleberg Akto and Kifaru tarps/tipis in many ways. You do need to be careful where you set the ProTrail up - set it up in a low wet area or near a creek an you will get wet with condensation. Go for a small ridgeline above the creek with a breeze and you'll sleep comfortably.

However, when you start hitting that dew point where the nights are getting colder, you will get significant condensation inside the shelter. I used my ProTrail through muzzy season in 2016 before switching to my Hilleberg or Tipi with stove.

For summer scouting trips, high country fishing trips, etc., the ProTrail with a down quilt is a joy to use and carry. Just don't think you can push it into the cooler temps of fall and still be comfortable.