Steiner vs Vortex

MOHunter

Jul 14, 2011
Joplin, MO
Okay, so I've got a pair of Steiner Predator Pros on the way. Close to 10 years ago I purchased some Burris compacts. I sent them in just hoping for something since they weren't working. That model is discontinued and could not be repaired, so they are sending me the Steiners in 8x22 as they are the closest thing.

I have been wanting a lower power bino for close range use where I live. I recently noticed that cameraland has the Vortex Diamondback in 7x36 on sale for $100. I'm considering selling the Steiners to purchase the Vortex. The Vortex has a better warranty, but I've always thought Steiners were pretty good glass. Any thoughts on how the 2 would compare?

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I know that this is going to shock the forum members, but I am going to weigh in on an optics thread.
:eek:

This is not a fair fight. Those Diamondbacks are going to stomp all over the Steiner's for reasons of exit pupil alone.

The exit pupil on the Steiners is 2.75mm, which is pretty small. The Diamondbacks have a comparatively huge 5.15mm exit pupil. The Vortex is going to be much, much brighter in low light. As long as the optical glass, coatings, and polishing used in the Vortex is reasonably high quality (and the glass is better than "reasonable" in that model from all accounts), the bigger objectives also provide for much higher resolution potential than the Steiner, no matter how great the glass, coatings, etc. used in the tiny objectives are. It is a matter of physics.

The Vortex should provide a better, brighter image than even the best 22mm compacts from Zeiss, Swaro, and Leica as well.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Keep in mind that Vortex, like many companies, markets a variety of products at different prices and performance levels.

I have liked pretty much anything Vortex that has Razor or Viper on it.

I have been disappointed by several marked "Crossfire."

It is also important to remember that Steiner makes a bunch of products as well, from the above listed compacts (which aren't bad for compacts) to super high-end roof prism binoculars (Peregrine XP), and tactical riflescopes (these are really nice).

Wapiti slayer .270

Jan 16, 2012
Colorado
Very valid points. I've looked through the Peregrine's from a Forest Service buddy. Very nice.

My bino's are the Viper's and the spotter is the Viper HD 20-60x80mm