Spring Turkey Hunting on the Jicarilla

Whitetail101

Feb 21, 2011
Indiana, PA
Planning my spring 2012 turkey hunts already. I know the 2011 spring turkey season is only days away, but I am looking at next year now for good spots.

My question is for those who have hunted the Jicarilla for turkey in the spring. Having read an article on spring turkey hunting here in one of my hunting magazines that arived today, I just want a second opinion on the are before I lock into stone my hunts for 2012.

Is the Jicarilla really that good for hunting Merriams in the spring? The article in the magaizine claims it is, but I want opinions from you guys who live there or have hunted it in the past.

Thanks

bern0134

Feb 22, 2011
Sandia Pueblo, NM
They have a good amount of birds. Spring turkey is the only animal you can hunt on your own. The rest you have to have a tribal guide. The cost for their tags I believe is $500. The Mescalero also provide tags for spring turkey although I don't know their cost and regulations. Keep in mind that these are Native American reservations and they are sovereign nations so they have their own hunting regulations.