Spring bear advice

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
Almost time for spring bear! lets add some tips and advice on here for anyone wanting to swallow a new addiction or for those that just want to learn more like myself. 1st tip, glass glass glass, fresh green grass!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
you will love it. missoula huh? I lived in Hamilton for a couple of years, I love the bitteroots!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
baits are a solid bet if your state allows it but it takes a committed hunter to keep it stocked. im all out spot and stalk this year. I have been eyeballing that hunter specialties call to try and coax a nice boar over. found an old logging rd in a new hunting area last fall that had lots of bear sign on it. very anxious to hit it, its high enough up that itll be under snow till late may early june, despite the warm 60 degree days weve been having here in valley.

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
Love missoula! I'm finishing up college this spring and will be sticking around afterwards to work for my family's business. Probably will hunt bears in seeley lake!

Last edited:

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
My hunting partner and I will be out looking for a bear or two this spring as well. We'll be back packing into a road closure that we hunted last year. I'd like to get out at least for at least three extended weekend trips this year and maybe a few day trips if it fits into the family schedule. We have a pretty long season here, it begins on April 1 and goes until June 30 so if I can find enough time I hope to get my first bear in the freezer. Not looking for a mount or a rug just want to see what bear meat tastes like and whether I'll bother buying tags in the future. If my family doesn't like the meat I won't be hunting them again, at least not with a rifle.

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
Going to be archery only again for me, and it's going to have to be a bruiser or bust. Spotting scope and green grass will be your best two friends in the spring, short of finding a sow. Other than that the more time you spend in the hills the better your odds will be, I guess that goes with any type of hunting. ;)