Spot Connect

T43

I have been looking at a Spot device and just noticed they now make the Spot Connect. It looks like it will hook up to an Android via Bluetooth and let you send text messages as well as all the normal spot functions. I have been looking at getting an android and using it in place of my old GPS and figure this will make it that much better. Does anyone have one yet? What do you think of it?

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Well, most mobile phone GPS programs dont work when you leave the cell coverage grid. If there is one out there, I have not seen it yet. SPOT devices are Satellite connected, so they connect differently. It only says you can send, never says you can receive. I wonder if while its connected to your phone, if its GPS would run a moving map on your Android?

T43

I know my Blackberry GPS worked without cell service. I even turned the cell antenna off to save battery life and had working GPS. There are several Android apps that have topo maps and claim to work without cell signal so assume their GPS works about the same. I'm not to worried about someone contacting me, in fact being out of reach is a huge bonus to going out but I plan on taking my 3 year old out this summer and was looking at the spot for some added piece of mind. When I saw the connect I figured it would be even better. Plus it would be nice if I could say goodnight when the girls have to stay home and I'm 4 days into a back country trip.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I have owned three blackberries. Never had one that had a working GPS off grid. Which BB are you using?

T43

The Storm 2 9550 If it was with Verizon they locked out the GPS unless you got their VZ navigator for $9.99 a month. I had no GPS when I got the Blackberry but I signed up for VZ nav for a month and it has had GPS ever since. I know people that have newer Verizon blackberries that have working GPS as well so perhaps Verizon decided to unlock the GPS in order to remain competitive. If it's been longer than about 16 months since you had one then the GPS was locked out.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Nice. I do have verizon, but have never paid for that app. I dont have the storm, I have the 9630. I have had full touch screens before and just wasnt up to another one when I upgraded last year. I do have GPS on it, but it stops when I go off grid. Now you got my interest up to see if it would do like yours does.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
The spot connect lets you text and update some social media over the satellite network when your off the cell phone grid. Not sure about receiving messages though. Takes a lot of battery out of your phone. Nice concept for a product, but I will leave this one the shelf for a couple years until the new models come out with some little improvements.