signed up for a 5k race!

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
this section seems to be pretty slow... thought I'd add some content.

I know the 1 thread gets some use but not much else new here.

was pretty fast back in college, but life happens and haven't really been in running shape since college/15years ago.

hopefully the body responds to the training.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I'm starting from the couch so trying to work up to 3x a week.

gonna build the mileage slowly and see, but, if things go well, trying to get in 1 long run per week, 1 tempo run, and then maybe more speed work as the race approaches.

I think starting out most of my runs will look similar.

and a couple days of cross training each week, which I already have been doing, so hopefully have at least a little base going into the cardio training.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I recommend that you look at this as an organized run, and not a race. You don't have to be first, but you should always strive to finish. I was never fast, nor a great athlete, but through the years I have passed every one of the "stars" from my school days...they are either worn out, lazy, infirm, injured, or even dead. The poster at the Marine Corps fitness center that I frequented over 40 years ago stated it best, "Physical fitness is transitory. It must be worked for continuously, and the only program of effective value is a lifetime one." Good luck, even if you do come in first.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted!
I joke I'm getting in shape for "old age" but I'm on the long plan, whatever it takes to get back in shape, whether that takes a year or a decade. Going pretty well so far though! I just miss my speed from my younger years, but hopefully I can get a good bit of it back. Never really had much endurance so looking forward to improving and training that.

I have learned it's much easier to maintain your fitness than it is to get totally out of shape and get it back.

conibear

Oct 15, 2017
HuskyMusky good job and good advice on here. Hopefully you are going to a running store and getting some good advice? I used to run in Mizunos, but switched to Brooks on the advice of a reputable running store here and it made a difference. And remember, shoes wear out from the inside, so don't be afraid to ditch them for a fresh pair.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
A lot of good shoes out there. There are also a lot of good advertisers/sales out there! Beware and deal with a good reputable running store, not simply a shoe store. They will be more helpful.
Last year, I switched to Hoka- the Bondi 4 to be exact. They have been very good.

memtb

Good Luck with the training! I used to run, many years ago....late ?70?s. Ran a few marathons, though it wasn?t my best distance.... a couple barely going under 3 hours. I did a little better at the shorter distances, my best 5K was 16:25 ( a fluke I think), my best 10 miler, was just under an hour. I miss the competition, but my back refuses to let me train. Again, Good Luck! memtb

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Good Luck with the training! I used to run, many years ago....late ?70?s. Ran a few marathons, though it wasn?t my best distance.... a couple barely going under 3 hours. I did a little better at the shorter distances, my best 5K was 16:25 ( a fluke I think), my best 10 miler, was just under an hour. I miss the competition, but my back refuses to let me train. Again, Good Luck! memtb
Thats a smoking 5k!!! Congrats on that 1!!

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Ran a bunch of races this past summer!
Mostly 5k's, managed to get a 30min 5k.,

getting back into running currently after a lay off.

I think if I could manage to run 3-4x a week consistently I'd be able to get a good bit better.

finished the year off with my longest race/run ever, 8miles, nothing fast, but a new experience and distance.
Kind of a different event, longer lower redline than the shorter faster higher redline like a 5k.

Never managed to run more than 13miles in a week, so I know if I can get up to 20-30miles a week, I think some big improvements would come.

Last edited:

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Nice work HM!

I really only run to train for the Spartan races I do. Absolutely love them, the running is my least favorite part of
them though haha.

They’re 3-5, 8-10 & ~13 miles in distance and I seldom actually run beyod 25mi/wk as I start to get nuissance pains. Never having been much of a runner, 1 thing that helped mewas shortening my stride and increasing cadence, give that a shot someday.