Seeking help from all members.....

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
At different stages of life, different things are harder than others. When I was young, the hardest part was getting into the mountains enough.

Over the years the hardest thing for me has always been getting myself off the mountain. My knees have been in bad shape since I first hurt one of them playing college football. Altitude has never been a problem nor has been packing meat out.

Now that I am in my mid 70's the hardest part for me is knowing that I don't have all that many years left to climb the mountain. So today I'd have to say the hardest part now is going home from a hunt, as it might be my last one I get to go to the top of the mountain!
I hate going home. Hate it.

You ever need any help getting in, packing meat out, or getting back out call me. If I'm not already doing the same or tied up in work I'll be at the trailhead to help. I'll PM you my contact info.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
My biggest struggle is coming down off steep hills, I feel like a newborn calf trying to stand sometimes! Especially in the snow, I'm hoping some trekking poles will help with my balance
go buy a set of trekking poles today! such a huge life saver, literaly.

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
I hate going home. Hate it.

You ever need any help getting in, packing meat out, or getting back out call me. If I'm not already doing the same or tied up in work I'll be at the trailhead to help. I'll PM you my contact info.
Ditto that! I'm right around the corner and always looking for excuses to cover new country.

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Going up with a full pack. I'm a flatlander so climbing at 8k-9k is tough anyway, throw on a pack and it's brutal.

I also mentally have a hard time sitting and glassing. I'm used to tree stand bow hunting whitetails so I don't mind sitting for extended periods but I have a hard time keeping those glasses to my eyes.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
I'm 26 years old, 5'9" 130 lbs. I was a wrestler in high school, rodeo'd and been around horses my whole life. I've hunted on foot, road hunted and hunted off horses. I'm in pretty decent shape yet I could use more cardio to make myself better. I feel I have a pretty strong mental game and physical game. I have hunted with old guys, younger guys and guys my age, and every year I get at least one response from someone pertaining to the amount of hiking I do and how quickly I can accomplish a hike without stopping. I have acquired the nickname of the mountain goat from many of my hunting buddies. I have the mental game of just going and not stopping I will push myself and push myself until I am where I want to be. But the things that completely are the hardest for me to endure on a hunt is the mentality of letting down everyone when it comes to harvesting. It's something I live for and yes we all agree that it's not all about the harvest and just the experience but the thing that tears me up the most is hiking our butts off, pushing my friends to finish a hike to get to a spot and coming back empty. And everyone has seen it, that look in someone's eyes of putting in those miles, climbing those dead falls, jumping the rocks, whatever it may be and getting to where you are, being sure there's gonna be animals and it's a ghost town. That is something that tears me apart inside, l just put these guys through a battle of the ages in hopes of bringing some sort of meat back to camp and it's a ghost town. You look around at ur buddies hunched over breathing like there's no air to be found and they just have that look in their eyes that I can't explain. Everyone looks to me as the man with the plan, I do my homework, scout, maps, pictures I do everything I can but sometimes they just aren't there and I feel like I let them down. It's been one of the hardest things for me to overcome as a guide and a hunter, I know it's hunting and you can't plan a perfect hunt every time but I live for the hunting experience, and the feelings that come with a harvest are top notch whether it's me, a buddy or a family member that I helped it's amazing. But those hikes that just don't pan out and you feel like you've hiked from one side of the state to the other and come up empty those are the hardest things for me hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extrapale

Mar 18, 2014
Oregon
For me it is two things.

1- the daily grind. I can handle anything physically for a couple days, but on a week long hunt my body get beat down. Maybe I need to be willing to take a day off in the middle of the hunt.

2- my feet. They have given me trouble for years. I have a tough fit, size 15 low volume foot. I have spent a couple thousand the last few years on boots trying to find the right fit.

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
My biggest struggle is coming down off steep hills, I feel like a newborn calf trying to stand sometimes! Especially in the snow, I'm hoping some trekking poles will help with my balance
That's hilarious I know how you feel. One easy way of helping myself is taking a moment to eat some food and drink some water. It really helps. Stretching in the mornings has really helped my knees and shoulders