Seek Outside DST tarp review

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
This tarp is one of the simplest but slickest shelters I've tried, and priced pretty decent for what it is. It's a 10x10 tarp with a re-enforced spot in the center for a stick or trekking pole. I used mine for the first time Friday camping on the river. We set up on an exposed sandbar to fish a back channel for catfish. With rain expected I set up the DST in the flying diamond configuration. I used a pole for the front that stuck up about 6.5ft above the sand to elevate the front. I then staked the back and both sides with the long Kifaru DST stakes I brought to keep it anchored in the soft sand. After that I took the two canoe paddles I keep in the boat and buried the paddles in the sand, used the handles to prop up either side two loops down from the front pole. I added some extra stakes and guyed out the pole and paddles, and it was set for the storms blowing in. We sat under it in two lawn chairs with our catfish rods in holders spread out in front of us and fished comfortably for hours. We ended up getting two inches of rain that night from 8pm to 5am. I slept under the DST and stayed dry after my buddy retreated to his tent. Set up is much simpler than I made it in a timbered area where the front can be elevated with a tree. The front can be set up lower to create a shelter more like a Kifaru Megatarp and offer more protection, or set up high like we did to sit under. It isn't the lightest or most compact tarp out there but is the most versatile and simple to effectively set up I've played with.