Savage Long Range Hunter

Nov 7, 2012
Iowa
Who has one and what do you think of it? How do you like the stock with the Karstens cheekpiece?
My opinion is that it looks cumbersome/bulky, but probably works very well. Agree, Yes/No?

Recently been reading of many SUB 1/2 MOA groups from these rifles.
Pretty affordable long range tack driver if that kind of accuracy is true.

Been looking at the .260 Rem and the 6.5 Creedmore. Both are short action model 11s I believe.
Is it true the 6.5-284 is built on the long action 111 model? Not sure why they would do this, other than seating bullets out really long for additional powder capacity. 284 case is really supposed to be a short action variant in my mind.

How about barrel length, are they all 26" or are the short actions 24"? I think I have seen that some are fluted barrels, but I dont see any documentation of such on Savages website.

And the muzzle brake, why? Most of the calibers don't require a brake in my opinion. Maybe the 7mm Rem Mag, 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag. Brake certainly understandable for the 338 Lapua Mag. Have heard accuracy suffers when the brake is turned 'off'. Can anybody verify this rumor?

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
I've got one in 300 win mag, its my elk gun. I need the brake on it, less kick than my .270 with the brake. I always shoot with it on, haven't tested it with the brake off.

The cheek piece is my one gripe about it. When hiking around with full gear in thick brush it can hang up on trees and your back pack. I may just take it off completely next season, better to just have a stock that fits you than all that adjustable business. The trigger is phonemenal. The only other 2 criticisms you can make on it is that the duratouch finish peels off in areas of high wear and the other one is that there is some slop in the action. A gunsmith can tighten up your action, finish peel just makes it not as "pretty" but I bought it to kill elk, not to impress anyone with its looks. I'm comfortable out to 400 yards with it shooting off a tripod, much more if I can get prone, but your results will probably be better, never been a great rifle shot.

All told if I had to buy over again, I'd probably just get a model 111 synthetic instead of the 116 (long range hunter), pretty much the same gun.

I have it topped with a zeiss 4.5-14x44 with the rapid z 800 reticle and love that glass.

Have fun shopping!

dying to kill

Aug 20, 2012
oklahoma
my huntin buddy has one in 7 mm it shoots real good the stock and cheek piece both look cheezy if u ask me, but if it gets the gob done who cares , i shoot a remington 700 sendero and my gun shoots tighter groups than his but mine also cost more.

digger11

Oct 23, 2012
Central Valley California
I have one 6.5x284.I got it on Gunbroker from a wholesaler that had a bunch built up with no checkpeice and a camo stock.
It shoots really well.I'm using 129 grain hornady's and shooting small round groups.It wears a nikon scope with the BDC reticle,
I have to say that I'm really pleased with this combo.I made a first shot hit on a starbucks cup at 476 yards last week.
Then my son hit it again with the next shot.

460s&w

Aug 11, 2012
ames IA
i have a savage 111 in 7mm rem mag i was very disapointed in this gun from the start, could never group after about 150 brake in shots with really good cleaning after 3-5 shot all the way threw the break in and long wait time between shot "cold barrel" with the 160 barnes triple shock i'm one hole at 200 oh and i needed triger to be worked on it use to be 7lbs got it down to 3lbs. very light as well with synthetic stock and thinner long barrel.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
My brothet just bought one. It seems to be a well made rifle. I don't think you can do much better for 760.00. He is going to throw a Vortex PST on it. I hope it shoots well, it is chambered in a .300 Win Mag.

hvfd21walker

Dec 18, 2011
Bitteroots
I have one in a 6.5-284. Bought it last summer and didnt get to shoot it that much do to a long fire season. The little I did shoot it I was pretty impressed. I have 140grain accubonds loaded for it.