Russell APXg2 Gear

AZ Hunter

Feb 22, 2011
Mesa, AZ
I recieved my order (L1 Alpine top, L2 Tundra top, L3 Zephyr jacket and pants, Gale jacket...all in large). Thanks to Chad at Linton Outdoors for great customer service and speedy delivery! He was correct about the Russell sizing chart for the pants. It shows that I should be in a medium, but the large fits perfect. I should be set for anything the AZ weather throws at me. I look forward to testing it on my turkey hunt in the White Mountains and my archery bull elk hunt this fall....yep, I drew an archery bull tag!!...10 year wait.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I did a search on this gear looking for reviews. I have my clothing pretty much put together with a mix of Patagonia, Montbell, and Sitka gear. I'm still looking for the right waterproof/breathable shell layer to use on the outside with or without my Montbell down jacket and wanted to see if anyone had tried the APXG2L5 jacket, or what other jacket you'd recommend. I have always hunted with hooded jackets, but I have a good baclava/beanie set-up that keeps my head warm well in dry weather. I also have a Cabelas Space Rain pull-over that works well to keep dry.

What are some thoughts from the more experienced hunters out there? Does the L5 jacket stay waterproof and breathe well enough to use as a full-time outer layer and just put the down jacket under it as needed? Would I be better off with the space rain jacket for wet weather and a lighter shell to use with or without the down jacket?

Thanks for your help.

Wheels

Apr 15, 2011
Laramie, WY
I'll second the customer service of Chad at Linton Outdoors. It was amazing.

I see a few questions here about the warmth of the zephyr pants. My question is how hot do they run early in year. If they are worn early with the base scent layer, don't they get really hot? Seem like they would. Regardless, I have them and will be wearing them . . . TONIGHT!!!