Reading Material

Bobby Swaggs

Feb 21, 2011
Can anybody recommend any good books to read? I just finished reading through my Peter Capstick collection again and I was wondering if anybody knows of anything similar to that.

HuntinFool

Feb 24, 2011
Utah
If you like old western books look into the author Terry C. Johnston. I borrowed some of his books from my grandpa and now i'm hooked.

dcannon

Feb 22, 2011
Pinedale, WY
If you like mountain man books, try Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher or The Big Sky by A.B. Guthrie. Those are my two favorite books of all time. The Monkey Wrench Gang is always another good one. I've read a lot of books based on the west, particularly the mountain man era, so if ya like that stuff, just let me know.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
The compilation of "Fred Bear's Field Notes" was a very entertaining read. Get to dream about the old days of no tags, hunting 4 months at a time, chasing tigers in India with the prince. It was a very fun read.

I also really enjoy reading the books by Patrick McMannis. He writes short stories about his past hunting experiences and they are all quite comical. Just a note: Don't read while in the bathroom. You get funny looks from the family when you exit after laughing out loud on the throne.

Bobby Swaggs

Feb 21, 2011
Thanks for all the ideas. I wrote everything down so I can look into it. Except for the part about McManus... I already own all of his stuff! I have been reading his comical short stories ever since I first learned to read. Easily one of my favorite authors.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Bobby, I will pass along one of my all-time favorites...East of the Sun West of the Moon by Theodore and Kermit Roosevelt. It's hard to find, but a true classic. About their trip into Mongolia for Marco Polo Sheep, Ibex and Elk. Read it when I was a kid and have been saving my dimes to hunt those big sheep ever since.

Tope

Feb 21, 2011
Indian Creek Chronicles. By Pete Fromme. The Hunter's Road by Jim Fergus. Anything by Jim Harrison or Thomas McGuane.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
A little late to this thread, but thought I would put a +1 on Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromme. I visit his campsite once a year. A great, great book. Another great true-story adventure is In the Heart of the Bitterroot Mountains: The Story of the Carlin Hunting Party, September-December 1893 by Abraham L. Himmelwright, although Himmelwright was a member of the expedition, and some question his account.

Wow, dcannon you are the first I heard mention Vardis Fisher in a long time. He is one of my favorite authors. I have most of his fiction works, but only one of his non-fiction works. He wrote many non-fiction books about the Pacific Northwest, the only non-fiction by Fisher I have is about Idaho, but I am always keeping an eye out for more. My favorite fiction work by Fisher is The Golden Rooms, its about cavemen, lots of hunting, sociology and a belief in God. I recommend it to anyone looking for something different. The last non-fiction book I read was The Collector by John Fowles, it was OK, best thing I liked about it was I spent a lot of time in England and I knew of or visited most of the places mentioned in the book.

When I am in the need for something not so heavy I dig back through old issues of Eastmans or my collection of out of print California Hunter magazines