Questions about Wyoming Preference Points

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
I live in Idaho, and hunt Idaho. We don't have preference points here, everything is random draw or over the counter. But one thing that is hard to get here is a rifle antelope tag, and I am getting a hankering to hunt one. I have read through the wyoming's fish and game site about fees and points, read a few articles, and honestly I am still confused about the process. What I did understand is that if you get your draw, you use up your points.

Does one accumulate points from failed draws, or does one by them to use in a draw.

Does one have to use all the points each year?

Can someone buy points for one year and not apply for a draw? (For example, say I know I am not going to have the time to hunt Wyoming in the 2021 season, but want to plan on a 2022 hunt, how do I make sure I have the best chance to draw the tag I want in 2022?)

And can one coordinate applications/points with someone else (for example my brother who lives in Colorado)? How can we best coordinate our "point strategy" to have a quality pronghorn hunt together.

From what I can tell, I can apply for 2020 points until the end of October? Does that put me in a draw for 2020 (My 2020 hunting plans are full, and I don't want to take a tag from someone who would actually use it if they were drawn).

Finally, is there a separate license fee, or just the tag (In Idaho we have our license and then we pay a fee for each individual animal tag).

I have great deer and elk opportunities at home, and I don't need a boon and crocket animal. I'm just looking for a crash course in Antelope with a chance at a respectable buck.

Thanks for the help. Good luck and tight lines to everybody in the field this year.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I live in Idaho, and hunt Idaho. We don't have preference points here, everything is random draw or over the counter. But one thing that is hard to get here is a rifle antelope tag, and I am getting a hankering to hunt one. I have read through the wyoming's fish and game site about fees and points, read a few articles, and honestly I am still confused about the process. What I did understand is that if you get your draw, you use up your points.

Does one accumulate points from failed draws, or does one by them to use in a draw. You no longer get points for a failed draw, you need to purchase them during the preference point purchase time

Does one have to use all the points each year? If you put in for the draw you use all the points that you have in that draw for that spieces

Can someone buy points for one year and not apply for a draw? (For example, say I know I am not going to have the time to hunt Wyoming in the 2021 season, but want to plan on a 2022 hunt, how do I make sure I have the best chance to draw the tag I want in 2022?) You do not need to put in for the draw to purchase points. I have been doing this for a number of years for deer in Wyoming

And can one coordinate applications/points with someone else (for example my brother who lives in Colorado)? How can we best coordinate our "point strategy" to have a quality pronghorn hunt together. Each of you just need to purchase points until you have enough for the hunt that you plan on putting in for. You then put in for that hunt as a group where you or your brother is the main person on the application

From what I can tell, I can apply for 2020 points until the end of October? Does that put me in a draw for 2020 (My 2020 hunting plans are full, and I don't want to take a tag from someone who would actually use it if they were drawn). No points are just that points it has nothing to do with that years draw.

Finally, is there a separate license fee, or just the tag (In Idaho we have our license and then we pay a fee for each individual animal tag). For points you just pay for the points that you purchase, nothing else

I have great deer and elk opportunities at home, and I don't need a boon and crocket animal. I'm just looking for a crash course in Antelope with a chance at a respectable buck. Lots of units in Wyoming where you can get a good antelope with a little bit of work. Look into TagHub here on Eastmans. It will give you hunting overload but is a great resource for units in Wyoming

Thanks for the help. Good luck and tight lines to everybody in the field this year.
Hopefully you can read what I have highlighted in this color at the end of your questions.

Others will be along to help also if I gave you any wrong information.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Just make sure that anyone who plans to hunt with you buys points also, as your points are averaged if you apply together as a party. Even just one or two points gives you more options when you do apply for tags, as many of the easy to draw with 0 points areas have access issues.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Hopefully you can read what I have highlighted in this color at the end of your questions.

Others will be along to help also if I gave you any wrong information.
This is awesome, I was about to do the same thing line by line. As for TagHub, we have a rifle season special going on and with application season coming we have a lot of updates that will be coming out.

FYI, Idaho is getting a facelift...