Oregon wolves

pmcgovern

Feb 11, 2014
Oregon
http://kpic.com/outdoors/oregon-oks-killing-2-wolves-after-attacks-on-livestock

We were up at Diamond Lake last weekend, doing some work on our cabin. We had a fella hauling in rock to do a little road maintenance and he saw a wolf on the south end of the lake. That's the 3rd wolf that I've heard of in the area. ODFW tells us that there aren't any wolves there. The 3 I've heard about have been seen by people that know what they're talking about. 1 of them being my dad. So does ODFW really not know they are there? Or is there some other reason that they'd deny it? Enlighten me. The link to the story is quite a ways away from Diamond Lake, thought I'd share anyway....

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
the low down I heard was they were secretly moving wolfs down there by the silver lake area,but don't want to admit it...so if they say there are no wolfs down that way,,,shoot them for coyotes.

Travisitguy

Sep 9, 2014
Bend, Oregon
I believe wolfs have been around that area for awhile. My parents said they had seen one some 20yrs ago in that area. I think the ODFW knows and has kept their mouth shut or just deny them since they have not actually seen one.

There is a lot of country up in that area that a wolf could maintain with little interaction with people.

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
the low down I heard was they were secretly moving wolfs down there by the silver lake area,but don't want to admit it...so if they say there are no wolfs down that way,,,shoot them for coyotes.
This IS a great idea! Oops, well you guys told me there are none here!

pmcgovern

Feb 11, 2014
Oregon
http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2017/10/in_wallowa_county_epicenter_of.html

Brown said the investigation showed considerable non-lethal attempts were made to deter the wolves, but the state wasn’t inclined to eradicate an entire pack. “We want to give the remaining wolves an opportunity to change their behavior,” she said.

Seriously? You really believe that the wolves are going to change their behavior? They're predators. Its what they do. It's what they've always done. It's what they'll continue to do. The only change that would possibly happen is that they might relocate. And I'd bet the farm that a wolf that is relocating to a different area will be looking for food. Cattle are easy targets. New area, same problem. I sure as hell don't know what the solution is(SSS), but waiting for a predator to change their behavior sure isn't it.

This morning on our way out for my wife's bull hunt, we had just crossed through the cattle guard onto the National Forest a few miles east of Joseph. The pickup ahead of us stopped in the middle of the road and then pulled off to the side. Being a little cynical about some of my fellow hunters, I commented to my wife that they were probably loading their rifles and rolling down their windows. I started around them, and then saw something black running along the bank above the road. Before I could get the word bear out, it turned down onto the road, and I realized it was two wolves, a black one and a gray one. They ran around for 15 seconds or so and then continued across the road.

So I know one place where there are at least two....

QQ

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I think they are in way more areas the the game and fish want us to know.

I don't doubt that but I don't think most game wardens much care for them either.
most I have talked to see them as a reality they must bear.

they don't like them but it is their job to enforce the laws put forth to manage them.

I had one actually tell me,he didn't care if I shot them (SSS) just don't let him catch me doing it ,cause he would ticket me.
it is his JOB and I would expect nothing less.

Last edited:

EOHunter

Jan 26, 2016
Eastern Oregon
There is an article in the Argus Observer, Ontario Oregon local newspaper, regarding wolves in Malheur County. ODFW says they aren't here (surprise, surprise). Another rancher in the area saw the wolf during the first week of October. They are here, sooner or later ODFW will have to admit it.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
There is an article in the Argus Observer, Ontario Oregon local newspaper, regarding wolves in Malheur County. ODFW says they aren't here (surprise, surprise). Another rancher in the area saw the wolf during the first week of October. They are here, sooner or later ODFW will have to admit it.

if they aren't there ,can you shoot them?
is it possible to be prosecuted for killing a ficticious animal??lol