NM elk unit

killz

Feb 24, 2011
im hoping to draw unit 15 or 17 this year for elk in new mexico. does anyone have an opinion on which one would be better for bigger bulls? maybe someone could fill me in on a good place to start in either unit?

killz

Feb 24, 2011
how big is big? like 360 plus? would you hold out for that in the last archery season?

trophyhill

Feb 24, 2011
Tijeras, NM
340's, 350's. would i hold out for that or a 360 or bigger? i keep telling myself i'm holding out for a "herd" type bull but..... this early in my archery career its about putting critters on the ground. the way i see it is as long as i keep putting myself into situations where it can go either way, sooner or later i'll be carrying a nice rack out of the elkwoods. so far its went the other way but fortunate enough to have some cow elk steaks in my freezer 2 years runnin.

killz

Feb 24, 2011
if you wouldn't mind me asking which part of the unit you were in i would like to know. you can send me a private message sure appreciate it.

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
I've hunted 17 for deer and seen alot of elk. They say that the Magdalena Mountains have nice bulls. A friend of mine guided some hunters in 15 last year and he swears by it. Two plus's right off the bat is its the GILA, MONSTER BULLS, the other is it borders Arizona fairly close to the White Mountains, another big bull area. I've also heard that there are alot of Outfitters but that don't mean nothing, its big enough of a unit to be successful! Good Luck!

Mrelite

Feb 28, 2011
New Mexico
I hunt 15, mostly because it is a great meat unit. It does have a good supply of 300 class bulls and of course there is always a chance for a big bull but that is true for any southern unit.

If I were going for a really big bull 350/400 I wouldn't be in 15 and I am sure that many folks feel the same way! units such as 17 as you mentioned and a few other units have been producing some monsters over the last few years.