Nevada's Draw System

huntnrich

Mar 10, 2011
I've heard people say Nevada has the best draw system amoung all the Western States. Those people that say that have 2 or 3 points and draw. I've got 11 deer points and it hasn't happened yet. You start off buying points, then they've got ya. I would have put in for everything over there if I thought it was going to take 11 plus years just to draw a deer tag. But I knew Elk and Sheep would take many years, and I didn't entend on doing that. I just wanted a quailty deer hunt within 5 years or so. It didn't happen as planned. I've got more than $1600 dollars invested in a deer tag, and I don't even own one yet. I'll be glad when I finally draw, so I can get off this train. Anyway don't start unless your willing to come aboard for the long hall.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
what hunts are you putting in for ? I know lots of people non res that draw with 4 or 5 points but they aren't putting in for the very best units just good soild units every year

huntnrich

Mar 10, 2011
I usually put in for 221 L, 241 L, 231 Rifle and Muzzleloader, 131 L. I've changed a few times. When I had 9 points I put in for 5 different Muzzleloader hunts. I was shock, didn't draw a one. Anyway will try again.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I drew a unit 061 muzzleloader tag with like 9 points (by accident) and the hunt totally sucked even though I backpacked way in. I would not burn points on one of those hunts. Since you get 5 picks, you might at least sneak in a couple "off the radar" units for your 4th & 5th. I think NV has a really good refund policy if you draw conflicting hunts and need to turn your tag back in.

huntnrich

Mar 10, 2011
Years ago I had a Unit #7 muzzleloader tag. 2 weeks before the hunt started, we went over and scouted for 4 days. I seen a bunch of nice bucks back in the wilderness. It was so good one basin had 21 bucks in it, and 5 were really nice shooters. I was so excited I couldn't hardly wait. We got there a day a half early. Packed the LLama's up and went it. It was dark most of the trip in. On the way in I could smell Sheep. We'll we got up the day before opening, hiked into the canyon that had those 21 bucks in and waited for daylight,(still smelling sheep). Anyway it got light and there wasn't a creature to be found. The lush green grass we had seen 2 weeks early was gone, there was dusty sheep trials all thru it. To make a long story short. I have no Idea where them bucks went, but they where long gone. I've never seen more sheep in my life. No matter where we hiked I couldn't get out of sheep. It totally ruin our hunt. We ended up, packing out of the wilderness, and road hunting.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
huntnrich, Wow sounds like a hunt I had in a Montana walk-in area. Found lots of sheds anyway. That sucks to put so much effort into it like you had.

After looking at the draw odds for everything in Nevada it has me wondering why I am applying there too. I have between 12 and 3 points for everything and all my hunts are like 1% according to the MM draw charts. I'm thinking I need to either put in for lower tier deer units or get out. Drew an elk permit back in '06. Mzl deer in '07 but it was a hot year and all success rates were down.

hubba20

Mar 9, 2011
Southern Nevada
good luck drawing 22 or 24 late haha... 22 lates odds are like 550 to 1! haha and 24 lates are like 170 to 1... my grandpa is a NV resident and he has 9 deer points and he still hasnt drawn cuz he keeps putting in for 24 late... you cant expect to draw anytime soon by putting in for those hunts, especially since youre a non resident...

huntnrich

Mar 10, 2011
I always put them down 1st. If your going to hit the lottery and be lucky, just as well go for it. Then my next 3 choice's are still good ones, just not as sought after.

hubba20

Mar 9, 2011
Southern Nevada
ya. well the way nevada works you should always put the best hunts your first choices cuz they pick a hunter, and then go thru all of your choices before moving on to the next one, so you just hope that the best hunts arent filled up before they get to your name

NVdroptine

Apr 7, 2011
Reno, NV
Well, those are all some pretty bad horror stories. As a Nevada native, I too have struggled in the past getting tags, and I am currently on a 3 year dry spell. But, with that said, if you put in for top draw areas, expect top amount of points needed! One rule I have found in Nevada, and that is big bucks are in most areas, you just gotta find them. If you hunt Nevada before October, being archery and muzzleloader seasons, expect to fight sheep and cows. Its just a part of what makes Nevada still wild! Elko county still has some rugged rough country, and still produces big bucks for less points!