NASCAR Race at the LA Coliseum

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
It was just announced that NASCAR is having a Cup race at the LA Coliseum in February. I have been a fan since I attended my first NASCAR race in 1960. I need to get back to SoCal to visit some lifelong friends and this is a good time of year and a great excuse to do it. I just bought 4 tickets, should be a great time. It will be good to go there again as I played a little college football there back in my younger days.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It would be the ultimate short track.

With safety barriers will they even be able to get a quarter mile in?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If I remember, the 1/4 mile running surface is pretty far (30 or 40') from the seating area. It is the "Clash" race before the season starting Daytona 500 and they will not have a full field like regular races.

Good excuse to see my buddies, see a race and drink a few brewskis for sure.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
My favorite horse story involves the LA Coliseum. I was in the Marine Corps mounted color guard out of 29 Palms, and we rode horses in parades and events all around So. California in 1973. This was for the North/South college football game, and there were 100,000 in the stands, and it was nationally televised. We led the parade through Pasadena, then into the Coliseum, once around the track, then rode the colors under the home goalpost. Everyone stood for the national anthem, and all eyes were on us as we presented arms and dipped the Marine Corps flag to honor the national flag.
Those who are familiar with horses know that a horse can take a crap on a full gallop, but for a piss it is a real production. Prince, my gelding rolled out about 2 1/2 feet of his unit, then proceeded to unload about 5 gallons right under the goalpost. I think that may have been where "The Wave" idea started, because you could hear the laughter move its way around the stadium as the folks saw what was happening. At the conclusion, my Gunny looked at me and said, "Lets get the hell out of here". We did just that, and I always wondered if anyone was tackled in that little pond we left behind.
Pardon me CC if I diverted from NASCAR, carry on.

Reactions: buckbull

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Love it.

I played football in the Coliseum for the first time in 1959. The Dodgers had just moved to LA and played there too. Their infield dirt took up about 20% of the football filed. Played in the rain once and it was a miserable mud hole. I also went to the 84 Olympics there. Lots of memories for me.

Reactions: RICMIC

memtb

I hope that you enjoy your time with your old buddies!

Until Daytona 3 years ago, I was a lifelong NASCAR fan. I have not watched a race since and will never see another. I saw the first live televised race (Daytona -Donnie Allison Cale Yarbourough fight), and once vcr’s came available, I never missed a race....until they became “woke”! memtb

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I hope that you enjoy your time with your old buddies!

Until Daytona 3 years ago, I was a lifelong NASCAR fan. I have not watched a race since and will never see another. I saw the first live televised race (Daytona -Donnie Allison Cale Yarbourough fight), and once vcr’s came available, I never missed a race....until they became “woke”! memtb
I went to my first race in 1960 at Riverside. I have been to quite a few since then. I was a drag racer when I was young and have always liked racing (cars, Indy, trucks, boats and motorcycles)....the need for speed as they say.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I just saw a pop up about the race at Bristol this weekend. Bristol raceway is a 1/2 mile track with very steep banks. I then looked at what the race at the LA Coliseum would be and it will just be a 1/4 mile. They didn't say if they would put in steep banking or not. It may be a very interesting race.