My New Muzzleloader

Since i drew a new mexico mule deer hunt for muzzle loader season i wanted something special and so i ordered a CVA Optima. I already have one, but i wanted a thumbhole version as i like them better. Scope is a Konus Pro 3-10x44.

Sighted her in with 4 shots and then today i struggled with accuracy @ 100 yards due to the extreme heat we had in southern colorado. At around 630 this evening, i got everything perfect and she shot a tiny group @ 100 yards.

Here she is!

3 shots @ 100 yards with 100gr Blackhorn209, 250gr Aerolite Powerbelt, CCI 209 Magnum primers.

Finger removable breech plug is awesome, especially since i loaded up without putting any powder down the bore first!

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
I also drew for a new mexico muzzleloader deer tag...Congrats on the tag, what unit? I had a muzzleloader about 5 years ago when i drew an elk tag. Bought the muzzleloader, went hunting and sold it shortly after. Anyway, 5 years later, i drew a muzzleloader tag again and recently bought an omega. Back then i shot powerbelts, and they had recommended for me to use like a 245 grain. Is this a good grain to use on deer and elk?

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
I know this may be a dumb question but was are conicals or are you referring to the style like the Hornady's or the Barnes with the plastic sleeve on the outside of the bullet. Also what grain and what brand would you recommend?

So late this evening i decided to try a couple new loads. Colorado "Someone off of my forum" had great success with his new wolf and 90gr BH209 with the 250gr Aerolites. I figured i'd try it @ 100 yards as well.

Upper 3 shots were my first, lower 2 were scope adjustment.

I was very happy with that, not as tight as with 100gr but still plenty accurate and VERY tame on recoil.

The reason for the scope adjustment? I would be shooting 110gr BH209 next and so with past experience i knew she'd climb up pretty good with that 20gr increase in powder.

Recoil with the 110gr Charge surprisingly felt less than my normal 100gr charge. I dont see how that could be but its a true winner.

Shots 1 and 2 were basically in the same hole. I had taken a better pic but it came out blurry so this will have to make do. Shot 3 is the highest. Must have been that heat you know? hehe

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Man that's good shooting. I have been looking at the cva wolf pretty hard. Looks like a good deal for the money