Mule Deer 36a?

dp1077

Apr 9, 2011
Sonoma County,CA
Looking for some info on the late season muley hunt in 36a. Not looking for anybodies honey hole but this will be my first time hunting Idaho. I have already got a call in to the biologest in the area just waiting for a call back. any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Well I spent my first two seasons hunting that for archery in November!!! Very steep country but worth the efforts if you are willing to put in the time.
I am moving back down to the valley in a few weeks. Going to helicopter flight school in Caldwell. I will be bow hunting up here in McCall this September if you want to join.....and....If you like I could take you up to some GREAT late season migration paths. The deer are presurred very hard up there. If you put yourself in the right place....all the other hunters will be sending the herds your way!!!

Correction.....after a little rest and a review of my claim...lol I meant unit 39. Unit 36A never offered November hunts that I recall....Sorry bout that. However, deer migration patterns in the lower ranges tend to trend the same from one location to the other. PM replied

Last edited:

dp1077

Apr 9, 2011
Sonoma County,CA
T43, It is a timing thing as the group I am going with we are trying to get later in the year in hopes of getting into more weather.

WolftalonID, Would love to take you up on the offer on bowhunting in Sept. but I still have to hunt my local zone here in California.
My season here is August through mid October for Archery/Rifle. Now I can't miss that. But might take you up on that offer in the future. I would still like to talk to you about the late season migration paths, a PM will be sent. Helicopter flight school,congrats.

dp1077

Apr 9, 2011
Sonoma County,CA
For those of you that have hunted the area how is the population of Wolves,Bears and Lions? Would it be wise to try and get a seperate tag?

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I have a buddy that owns a cabin in that unit. He has had bears in his cabin before!!!! They are very prevalant in that unit and with some bait no problem what so ever to find. More than once he has meet one while biking some back country logging roads.
Cats and or wolves are there but something you may or maynot see just hunting.
I usually have a tag with me anyway though. Considering the cost of a wolf or bear tag......its not an issue to buy one and have it just in case.
I have seen bears more often than wolves in several places in the state. Cats I have only seen tracks. Most guys I know here that hunt the cats use dogs to run them down.