MR Pintler vs Metcalf

NDguy

Aug 12, 2016
Alright I pulled the trigger and bought the Metcalf and Pintler from my local Scheels and am giving both of them a test run for few weeks. My initial impressions are that they are both fantastic packs but will both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I love how compact and neat the Pintler looks and feels. Easy access, compresses nicely and as of now feels the nicest on my back. I definitely can tell that the smaller volume could get irritating if you were doing anything but day hunting.

The Metcalf I think will be very versatile. Compresses nicely, but really opens up and looks and feels great when loaded up. The Metcalf does seem like it's "busy" sometimes, all of the buckles can be overwhelming to me (first nice pack I've owned) but I think that's just a matter of getting used to it.

Those of you that have owned one or both, what are your likes/dislikes. I have decided on MR and it's between the Pintler and Metcalf so any input for helping me make my decision would be great.

I am definitely open to keeping one or the other and finding a used Metcalf or Pintler/Longbow online in the future to have the ability to use both.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nasty4u

Mar 27, 2014
nd
I run the MR Marshall. I don't really know much about the pintler but I think the Metcalf is similar to the Marshall. Don't worry about all the buckles, I was a little overwhelmed with mine when I first got it but if you play around with it after a while you'll get pretty comfortable with it. They are great packs. I used mine last year out in Wyoming antelope hunting. My brother and one of my buddy's dad shot their bucks 7 miles from the truck. I was the only one with a pack so I hauled them both quartered out on my Marshall, not exactly a fun couple hours but I made it back and the pack worked great.

NDguy

Aug 12, 2016
I run the MR Marshall. I don't really know much about the pintler but I think the Metcalf is similar to the Marshall. Don't worry about all the buckles, I was a little overwhelmed with mine when I first got it but if you play around with it after a while you'll get pretty comfortable with it. They are great packs. I used mine last year out in Wyoming antelope hunting. My brother and one of my buddy's dad shot their bucks 7 miles from the truck. I was the only one with a pack so I hauled them both quartered out on my Marshall, not exactly a fun couple hours but I made it back and the pack worked great.
Think I am going the Metcalf route.

I would like to not have to worry about space for 90% of my hunts. I think I can get by with the Pintler, but I don't think I would ever be angry about having too much space vs too little.

The Metcalf has the side zip too so access to everything is pretty painless!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I too considered this pack, but based on my personal needs, went another route. It's a great pack and I would own it if I could have more than one. :)