Most Epic/Realistic Combo hunt

FitToHunt

So besides my yearly applications and my OTC hunts, I think I may only hire a fully guided hunt perhaps once in my life. So, if I'm gonna go to AK and pay a guide I'm sure I'd like to do a combo hunt to get as much bang for my buck and memories as I can. I see a lot of outfitters offering combo hunts for a variety of species, but since AK is such a huge state I've heard a lot areas will be great for one animals but just so-so for another, or it'll take days to pick up and travel to target another species.

What 2 or 3 animal combos can be realistically targeted in say a 14 day hunt in AK? And I'm not talking black bear or wolves. I for sure want one of them to be a Brown Bear, or sheep. Or both if possible. I know were talking big $$$, but like I said. Once in a lifetime.

Thanks Gents.

Fit

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Did I hear someone say something about me????

Alaska would be a fun place to go hunt and if you really want to do a two animal hunt you are really going to be restricted on what you hunt. Perhaps a sheep and grizzly, moose and grizzly, goat and grizzly, goat and moose, perhaps sheep and moose. I would suggest that you start doing internet searches on outfitters up there and see what you can find that would do what you want to do. But be prepared to pay some serious money. A moose hunt alone could run you upwards of $15,000 and then you can pay a trophy fee on a bear. Sheep hunts are going to be north of $20,000+.

I did a grizzly hunt in British Colombia 4 years ago and that alone was $11,000+tags and a few other things. The outfitter that I used also offers goat/moose hunts for $14,000+tags so even just across the border to the north things are getting expensive. The grizzly hunt that I booked for $11,000 is now $15,000 and may go up.

I believe what ivorytip was referring to in my African hunt is what you can hunt on a 8 day hunt and be pampered like a king. The safari operator that I used has a special for 6 plains game animal and 2 management animal for under $6,000 once you get over there. The place that gets you on a African hunt is getting the trophies home and your taxidermy fees afterwards. I brought home 5 trophies to mount. A kudu, gemsbok, impala, springbuck, and a black wildebeast. I had a euro mount of a bleastbuck done over there. So by the time that I was finished with everything I was into the trip around $23,000. But that was everything except for the screws to hang the animals on the walls at my home.

If you haven't read it yet here is the link to it in the Other Forum.

http://forum.eastmans.com/showthread.php/13324-My-African-Safari

I might still get to Alaska, since it has always been a dream of mine but I'll quite possibly go back to Africa before I head north again.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I should of mentioned that on my grizzly hunt in British Colombia that I saw one grizzly and didn't get a shot at one. I did bring home a very expensive black bear. Also one of my friends that I went to Africa with has gone on a dall sheep hunt in Alaska, he came home empty handed, he could of shot a grizzly but he was after a sheep and didn't want to take the chance of spoiling his chances of one. After thinking about it he said that he should of shot the grizzly.

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
If I had the $, I'd do either a brown bear/mt. Goat combo on Kodiak Island, or Dall/grizzly in the Brooks range. I'm not even sure these hunts are possible (season dates) but if they are, I think they would be awesome!

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Would you consider a Grizzly in place of the Brown Bear? That may open up some more sheep/Grizz possibilities. I'd also look at BC too, possibly Alberta. There are some reputable hunting consultants who's web sites you could poke around on. The advantage of using them is hopefully better outfitter vetting. You might also want to consider purchasing trip insurance. The industry is full of horror stories of outfitters taking the money and no hunt.

Been quite a few years since I hunted AK, but at that time you could shoot the animal you had the tag for, or another animal that took a tag of the same or lesser cost. That was a nice option when out and about. Not sure if that is still legal. Wolf tags are cheap too. In many places in AK, targets of opportunity can just suddenly appear, wolf, wolverine and caribou, etc. A shotgun is fun too for ptarmigan. A fishing pole is a nice addition on some hunts. My buddy brought home a wolf with his sheep on his sheep hunt, it happens. Be fun what ever you decide.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
If I had the $, I'd do either a brown bear/mt. Goat combo on Kodiak Island, or Dall/grizzly in the Brooks range. I'm not even sure these hunts are possible (season dates) but if they are, I think they would be awesome!
The beauty of a bear hunt on Kodiak is you just have to pop a deer and wait...

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I think a brown bear moose combo would be my first choice if it's possible. I would consider swapping a brown for a grizz, but only if necessary.
It's possible. When I went to AK I wanted a Caribou and my partner wanted a Moose. He was able to get his Moose and had to dodge Brown Bear. He hunted out of a power boat. I had to take a short flight from camp into the foothills as the local Caribou population had crashed. We were on the top end of the peninsula in AK near Egegik. Been too long ago to suggest that as a spot, just shared it to say that combo is very possible. Moose are often near the rivers/creeks as are Brown bear chasing salmon on the smaller creeks. Just have to find a place with a good population of both the year you decide to go. Where we were, salmon, ducks and ptarmagim were everywhere too.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I went last year to northern BC on a combo hunt. That being said I took a bull moose on the fifth day. We saw elk everyday just nothing legal. I had black bear , goat and wolf tags also. Never went after a goat. Ten full days of hunting, plus prior day horse ride in hunting, and day after ride out hunting way out. May also want to look into the Yukon boat hunt?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Damn. My wife would kill me if I spent that much money on a hunt. But if she spent that much money on a hunt she would be all smiles! lol

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I have done a bou hunt. Would love to do a moose, bou and grizzly combo! Not in any order.

TK

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
Cast and blast in South East Alaska for Sitka blacktails with some salmon and halibut action on the side. I don't like bear meat, so they are safe from me. There's no need for a guide either.