Montana whitetail hunting...Madison/Ruby River areas.

kurtski25

Dec 14, 2011
Howdy,
I'm thinking of hunting whitetails in the Madison River/Ruby River areas next year (provided I can draw a license). I've looked over the land owner patterns and it is a little spotty as far as public land goes, especially the lower areas that would hold whitetails. There is some Block Mgmt areas that could provide some decent access. I'm guess I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with hunting whitetails in this area and if they had access issues?
Thanks for any responses.
Kurtski

mtmuley

Apr 1, 2011
Helena, MT
I have done some whitetail hunting in the Ruby. What you are going to find is that most landowners wont let you hunt and the ones
that do are probably only going to let you shoot does. I am currently looking for an area to hunt for whitetails with my bow. If you hear of anything let me know.

Dec 25, 2011
Big sky country
Access is going to be the problem...some great deer in the area...but a lot of private...I grew up over in that area...we still hunt it..though I key in on elk and Mule deer now..some good deer in there

kurtski25

Dec 14, 2011
Has either of you tried any of the BMA's in the area. My experience has been most are fair hunting at best, although I have run into one or two that were great.
I might try to get over there in summer and see what kind of permission I can get from the local landowners.
I appreciate your responses guys and I'll keep you informed Mtmuley.
Kurt