Montana Goat

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I have put in for Moose, Sheep, and Goat in Montana now for 33 years in a row for EACH and have yet to draw one! I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully Montana will someday make these big three ONCE IN A LIFETIME like they should be so more folks have an opportunity to draw one!

I have gotten to go goat hunting with a buddy who drew, so when I have a bit more time, I'll write a short story about his hunt. It was great and he got a 9 1/4" billy!

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Went with my buddy last year to MT on his goat hunt. It was the best hunt I have ever been on. LONG hike in, lots of goats, blizzard dropped in on us. This hunt had the highs, and the lows. He wound up going back several times, and shot his 9.25" goat in Nov with his bow. We even got to see some Big Horns!!! Can't wait to get back into high country. Love seeing the goats/sheep.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I have put in for Moose, Sheep, and Goat in Montana now for 33 years in a row for EACH and have yet to draw one! I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully Montana will someday make these big three ONCE IN A LIFETIME like they should be so more folks have an opportunity to draw one!
Ugh!... 33 years? I'm doing the math in my head of the non-refundable fees it will cost me in 33 years! I too put in for all three in Montana. I agree with the once in a lifetime thing too. I also wish guy's would stop putting in there kids, wives, parents, mother in-laws, second cousins, etc etc. Most who aren't really that interested in hunting one of these animals but would if drawn. You should have to pass some type of passion test just to apply!

ceby7

Feb 21, 2011
Laurel, MT
I'm a Montana resident and I drew a goat tag in 2003 when I was 15 and a moose tag in 2004. I killed a 9 1/2" billy and a 52" moose. Why should I not ever be allowed to draw again? If I can get lucky enough to draw again I should have that right (I'm already going to be 7 bonus points behind).

muleyhunter92

Feb 25, 2011
Idaho
You're right ceby7. I think the law is fair. I think this even though I haven't been able to draw in montana after years of applying.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
ceby7 I have to disagree with you on this one. Look at the two beautiful animals you got, and the tags for these are so hard to draw that you have a better chance of winning the lottery than drawing a tag (okay maybe not quite that bad). There is just too much demand for these tags and we need to spread the wealth around a little bit. I would like to have a little better chance of getting drawn, and would like to see my son, your kids when you have them, or other friends have a chance. Honestly who deserves more than one of these wonderful creatures (moose, sheep, and goat)? I know too many folks who are on their second or third sheep tag and have drawn two moose tags. It isn't right and it's not fair. Montana is the only state that is not ONCE IN A LIFETIME for the big three! This is how strongly I feel about this. If I drew a ram tag and then waited the seven years and could apply again, I WOULD NOT apply just for the fact that I would like to see someone else have a chance at getting drawn. Now I would love to tag along with anyone I knew if they drew, but I would not apply for one myself even if I was able to.

I think if you want to apply for the Super Tag and get lucky and should be drawn for that, well then God Bless you, but no-one deserves more than one! I propose it like this. Make it ONCE IN A LIFETIME for Goats. They usually are an either sex tag as the sexes are so hard to tell apart sometimes. The populations cannot stand to have many nannies taken, so one and done should be it for goats. ON moose and sheep, you can apply for either a trophy (bull or ram) tag or a non-trophy (cow or ewe) tag, it does not matter which you put in for first and you can change it up each year if you want. If you drew a ram tag you are done putting in for a ram just as if you drew a bull moose, you would be done. Now after waiting 3 years you could then apply for a cow moose or a ewe sheep, depending on which tag you drew of course. After you are lucky enough to draw that cow moose tag then you are finished putting in for moose EVER, same with sheep. That way there is still a pool of hunters out there to help keep the ewe sheep and cow moose populations in check in the different districts. It would be a great hunt in itself for the animal and the wonderful meat.

Sorry but more folks deserve a chance to get one of these permits. Each and every year I hear about a couple people I know or someone else knows who has drawn multiple tags for these three animals and is again having the chance to go and hunt them.

Bighornfanatic

Apr 11, 2011
Maupin, Oregon
I agree with you 6mm Remington, you make some great points that only a person that has waited 33 years to draw one of Montana's big three would know. My father has put in for bighorn sheep here in Oregon for 43 years, and I have for 25 years myself. I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to go sheep/goat/or moose hunting, it has got to be the highlight of a hunters career, but I think you should only be able to draw one of these special tags once in a lifetime. Just to much demand for these hunts, and everyone that applies should have a chance at them. Hope you draw one of those hunts this year 6mm, and good luck to all in the draws this year.

ceby7

Feb 21, 2011
Laurel, MT
I totally disagree with the once-in-a-lifetime theory, but I do support the proposed bill that has been sent to the governor's desk that will square the number of bonus points for applicants(HB 566). This will give those who have been applying for years significantly better odds while still allowing people like myself, who have drawn, a chance after the 7 year wait. 6mm Remington, I don't know where you stand and I'm not trying to label you, but it's pretty obvious that the majority of the members on this forum, myself not included, are fairly conservative politically. The once-in-a-lifetime rule is basically redistribution of wealth, which goes against everything conservatives believe in. Hypocrisy defined!!!:p

llp

Mar 15, 2011
caby7,
Labeling the once in a lifetime rule as redistribution of wealth shows your lack of understanding of conservative principles. Its o.k., you are young, and can continue leaning. It has absolutely nothing to do with wealth redistribution. Don't get me started.... :)

I understand your issue, since you have drawn two of these coveted tags at an early age. If you want to keep hunting these species, just look to other states. It won't be cheap, but you can do it without violating your core conservative values.

I drew my first once in a lifetime tag back in 1991 (WA moose). In the last 20 years I have been fortunate to draw quite a few more in various states.I also continue to apply for virtually all of the remianing ones in the west, and still have plenty of tags available to keep my interest high. Knowing that most hunters in any state can never draw these tags (simple math), I don't have any problems with the restriction. And in most states, if I really, really wanted another once in a lifetime tag, I could just buy it at auction.

Work hard, get a good education, and you too can continue hunting trophy species in many states.

llp

Once in a lifetime tags I have drawn : Wa - Moose, ID - Moose, MT - Mtn Goat, WY - Moose, NM - Oryx, AK - Sheep + Moose + Goat, UT Bison + Mtn Goat

squirrel

Mar 1, 2011
You guys are harsh... I've drawn 4 goat tags and 2 ram tags and hope to draw a few more before drawing my daisy pushing tag! Last year I drew my 4th goat tag and turned it in for a non-refund to keep my points as I had to work too much to do the hunt justice. She did look at me a little strange at the dow office "You're turning a GOAT tag in?? " yep heres my sign... 3 weeks later the boss fired me, I might do that a bit differently if I could have a do-over!!

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
My guess is two are CO, and MT. Easier to draw. ID is a long shot, and NV, and Wy a even longer shot. Unless he went to AK, or BC.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I believe ID is not near a long shot on drawing those tags. Moose is very doable all over the state. The main thing about Idaho is, If i decide to put in for Moose, Sheep, or Goat, Not only can I ONLY put in for 1 of the 3, But then I also CANNOT put in for any controlled deer or elk hunt that year. So people have to decide between putting in for 1 of the big 3, or trying to draw a good elk or deer tag. It definitely keeps the numbers down and the draw odds possible. Granted the lack of preference points doensnt help Non-res or even Residents who don't draw...I cant complain, i drew Sheep my first year putting in...But sometimes being dang lucky cant hurt either

squirrel

Mar 1, 2011
All were colorado I've drawn others (1 ram tag ) in another state and my princess drew 2 more goat and 1 more ram in this state. Most is doing the research (in the old days when it required more than the click of a mouse) to find sleeper units. 2 goat tags were with 0 points archery hard -to-hunt area. 2 ram tags were with minimum points (3) archery in obscure units. It all led to 4 rams on the wall and 2 goats. 1 goat tag was literally un-hunted, one got short shrift as my princess prioritized our wedding as more important. 1 goat got turned in as mentioned above. With a bit more effort we could have a wall full of very expensive mounts, as it is it's still very nice. Hunt 'em if you draw 'em ceby 7 in what seems like a few weeks you'll be old and fat and talking about when you could get up and climb all day and shoot them in the eye with a slingshot from 400 yards... I'm pretty sure that's how I got mine.