montana goat area 240

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
Last year each drainage was broken into separate sub-districts with one or two tags for each drainage. Mine was for Kootenai Creek on the north side of St. Mary's peak across from Stevensville. I started scouting in July when the snow melt allowed. From then until the end of November I saw one goat the whole time in that drainage. I made it back clear to the Kootenai Lakes twice and never saw a goat on either trip. One trip was snowed and rained out. It's 13 miles to the Kootenai Lakes, and about another mile as a crow flies to the Idaho border and the end of that drainage.

I'd be more than happy to talk with you on the phone or PM's and tell you what I know in more depth. Bitterroot Bulls knows the valley pretty good, and he might be able to give you some tips also. As you can tell by the change on the regulations this year and the huge reduction in tags, the herds must have taken a hit with winter and disease. 542-5500 will get you FWP in Missoula and they can advise you of the biologists name for the district. I forget it right now. He also can give you some pointers. Check the results from last year and see who was successful by going down to FWP and checking. You might be able to get names of some lucky ones to contact.

I'd be more than willing to share every bit of knowledge I have from Kootenai Creek and mistakes and things I might have done differently to help you be successful in your season.

David

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Congrats on your tag, switchbackkid!

The bioligist's name is Craig Jourdonnais.

Unfortunately numbers are way down, but I think you can get it done.

The ridge between Sawtooth Cr. and Roaring Lion Cr. is called Goat Ridge. It is called that for a reason. that said, at one time or another, there have been goats in every single drainage in the Bitterroots.

Good luck!

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
Congrats on your tag, switchbackkid!

The bioligist's name is Craig Jourdonnais.

Unfortunately numbers are way down, but I think you can get it done.

The ridge between Sawtooth Cr. and Roaring Lion Cr. is called Goat Ridge. It is called that for a reason. that said, at one time or another, there have been goats in every single drainage in the Bitterroots.

Good luck!
Now BB, why didn't you tell me that prior to me putting in my application? :mad: I still enjoyed the heck out of myself and got to see some wonderful country. and the inside of my tent for many hours when all it would do is pour rain!
David

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Now BB, why didn't you tell me that prior to me putting in my application? :mad: I still enjoyed the heck out of myself and got to see some wonderful country. and the inside of my tent for many hours when all it would do is pour rain!
David
David,

I think I enjoyed seeing your pics as much as you enjoyed taking them. And don't scold me for your choice in units! At least you drew a tag. I am so desperate for moose, sheep, and goat that I am just going to drive up to AK and buy a moose tag this year. ;)