Meat bags

2nasty4u

Mar 27, 2014
nd
So I'm in the market for a new meat bag/ Meat bags. I used to run a cabelas meat bag, it was pretty good sized, last year I fit 2 quartered out antelope in it. That bag got a tear in it and I don't believe cabelas carries them anymore. I usually quarter out game on the spot and pack the quarters back to the truck and put them in a cooler in the meat bag. I was just kind of curious what others were running and likes/ dislikes about them. I've seen black ovis game bags on camofire pretty regularly and am kind of considering them possibly. Thoughts?

7mag

Sep 1, 2014
Wyoming
I use zip up pillow protecters. Regular size for deer and antelope and king size for elk. The packaging is very compact and they are dirt cheap. I usually throw them away after i use them. Im thinking about trying some kind of citrus spray on them this year

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I went a different route. I got some muslin that was 36" wide and made my own bags. I have some that you can put a whole deer into that are open at both ends so that you can leave the head out but cover up all the meat. The ones that I have for elk quarters or what ever you want to put into them are 6' long by 35" wide figuring for the area where the stitches are. They work great and are not that heavy to pack.

To clean them I just let them soak in some Biz for a couple of days in a bucket before I throw them into the washing machine. The Biz eats the blood stains out of them and they look good as new. You can also use the Biz and soaking trick on any of the reusable bags

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
We have some canvas bags we use when the lightweight ones don't seem like the best option. We put our animals in canvas game bags to hang from trees in camp and for truck transport.

2nasty4u

Mar 27, 2014
nd
Lots of different options, might go the black ovis route next time they're up on camofire. Just a little bit cheaper probably the only reason, although most times you get what you pay for.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I've used caribou bags. often just use a pilla case just to mess with the ol lady

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
I use zip up pillow protecters. Regular size for deer and antelope and king size for elk. The packaging is very compact and they are dirt cheap. I usually throw them away after i use them. Im thinking about trying some kind of citrus spray on them this year
Same here, this will be the third year for these bags and no issues. They roll up to a very compact size, and weigh nothing.

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
I have used the T.A.G. Bags for 4 years now and have not had one fail. I own 2 sets of the 5 bag pack and they are perfect for elk or deer quarters and a bag for trimmed meat. They have been used each year on multiple animals and are in great shape. I just get them home, soak them overnight, then wash them in the machine, then air dry and roll them up small and tight and they go back in the nice carry case. They are a bit expensive, but you will get a lot of years out of them.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I went a different route. I got some muslin that was 36" wide and made my own bags. I have some that you can put a whole deer into that are open at both ends so that you can leave the head out but cover up all the meat. The ones that I have for elk quarters or what ever you want to put into them are 6' long by 35" wide figuring for the area where the stitches are. They work great and are not that heavy to pack.

To clean them I just let them soak in some Biz for a couple of days in a bucket before I throw them into the washing machine. The Biz eats the blood stains out of them and they look good as new. You can also use the Biz and soaking trick on any of the reusable bags
Have done that for years. I also have used extra large pillow cases and 100# cotton feed sacks that my Dad used to get.