Looking for Mtn Goat training tips

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
Well, the title of the thread pretty much says it all. I'm looking for tips on training for an upcoming mountain goat tag. A buddy of mine drew a tag here in CO and I'm going to join him on his hunt.

So, what type of training program do I need to get on?

Thanks,

Graybird

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Get a good base through running and other cardio. It increases your red blood cell count which is important at elevation. Strength training is also important for goat hunting, as there is a lot of "hands on" climbing involved. i make sure to get good back days in. The lats are essential for mountain scrambling.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
The above mentioned is good, all I would add to it is that it depends on your current workout habits. If you don't work out now, then dont start too early, you'll burn yourself out and get "lazy" right before the hunt which is some of the most critical time. So make sure you time everything right... From there, once you have the above mentioned foundation then hit the hills, since you live in Co it shouldn't be too hard. Find the nastiest stuff and get to it. It is amazing how much gym time you can put in only to find your body sore and tired on your first hard mountain day of the season.

Then give yourself 3-4 days off before your trip.... Again... most importantly of everything though is don't burn yourself out. I work out every week of the year but really focus 6 weeks prior. For me, this is just about right.

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
Thanks for the comments guys!

I've decided this weekend is the last before starting to get in shape. The hunt starts the day after Labor Day, so I've got roughly 3 months to make good things happen.

I've got some weekend trips already planned backpacking in our elk hunting areas to check out some "new" country.

About a month ago, I ran a half marathon without training. Just went and did it. Decided I couldn't do something like that on this trip!

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
flat out climbing mountains get you in great shape. One way to save the knees though is to pack water. Put gallon jugs of water in your pack and go climb. at the top dump the water and head down. you will save your knees by not packing the weight down hill, but get in good shape by packing the weight up hill.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Depending on your weight,

if you have 20lbs to lose, and started running for cardio/endurance.

Being able to run for an hour straight, and losing 20lbs, would essentially put you at your current weight but already carrying a pack!

I'm currently working on just running and increasing my endurance and losing weight. It's slow going though let me tell you!

In the past I would hike with a pack up hills etc... and it was pretty terrible, I was so bored, it was so slow, boring etc... I didn't feel like I was even getting much of a workout and just was bored.

I'd suggest trying to get into running. If you can't, find an active sport/activity you enjoy and start doing it often!

Stairs would probably mimic climbing steep mtns fairly well for us flatlanders...

recently was hiking in CO and man some of those hikes had the quads burning! carrying extra weight/fat certainly doesn't help!

possibly start loading up the backpack and see where you can lose some gear/ a lb here or there...

Wild Country

Jan 29, 2012
OR
flat out climbing mountains get you in great shape. One way to save the knees though is to pack water. Put gallon jugs of water in your pack and go climb. at the top dump the water and head down. you will save your knees by not packing the weight down hill, but get in good shape by packing the weight up hill.
Thanks Tim, my buddies wife drew her goat tag here in Oregon for the Hells Canyon area and I wish I would have heard about this idea earlier but i will put it too the test Sunday on my mountain hiking workout. I have been packing around my scuba tank and a few exta pounds on my pack for my Sunday moutnain hikes.

Oh and thanks Husky for posting this thread!!!