Kuiu Axis Hybrid

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Breathable and windproof. Two things that will get the you the coldest when cold is over sweating and wind biting said sweat. Lightweight for walking and throw a down under when glassing
So, do you know if the axis series run true to size? If using a layer of merino wool, with the axis jacket and pant be able to be worn over the layers and/or need a size larger?

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
If you plan on a mid layer puffy jacket in between your base layer and axis then size up. Otherwise true to size and athletic fit. I’m 6’2 180 and large is perfect for me

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I normally wear a large for a jacket, but sized up to XL for layering. The fit is great, especially with some base layers and a puffy under it. I normally wear a 32 waist, but went with 34s for base layers. Glad I did that, with my merino base layers it fits just a tad snug. Must not be as small as I used to be! I’ve been wearing the jacket a lot lately for hikes with the pack on. Its definitely an awesome jacket!

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
I normally wear a large for a jacket, but sized up to XL for layering. The fit is great, especially with some base layers and a puffy under it. I normally wear a 32 waist, but went with 34s for base layers. Glad I did that, with my merino base layers it fits just a tad snug. Must not be as small as I used to be! I’ve been wearing the jacket a lot lately for hikes with the pack on. Its definitely an awesome jacket!
Thanks for the info! I can relate to our sizing being different today vs when we were younger, at least in my case.:D Typically in the past I would buy my hunting outwear a tad bigger for layering, but after many years I realized that normally that only happened when I would sit in a tree stand hunting whitetails all day. Normally out West I'm moving more glassing and hunting etc....based on my own experience.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
I wore the pants again on our hike yesterday. Air temps were in the lower 40's but felt a little warmer. The pants will definitely be a cold weather pant for me, but I am pretty warm blooded. I washed them since the last hike and didn't notice as the swishing noise this time, so I hope that won't be an issue. I'm planning on wearing them for next Sunday's hike before putting them away till hunting season. So far, I am pleased with them. I think they will hold up pretty well to some wear and will be good protection from rain and wind.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I wore the pants again on our hike yesterday. Air temps were in the lower 40's but felt a little warmer. The pants will definitely be a cold weather pant for me, but I am pretty warm blooded. I washed them since the last hike and didn't notice as the swishing noise this time, so I hope that won't be an issue. I'm planning on wearing them for next Sunday's hike before putting them away till hunting season. So far, I am pleased with them. I think they will hold up pretty well to some wear and will be good protection from rain and wind.
I had a chuckle on this... when I saw the 40 degree temp, I thought holy moly, then chuckled when I saw definitely a little warm. They were ?a little warm? for me at 25 degrees. I hadn?t commented yet because I?m aware I have a little conditioning to do before I give them a fair review. It should be a great cold weather pant. I am sad they missed they knee pads though. If I haven?t said that enough. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Well. I thought I would check in after a full season under my belt for those interested. Not any crazy updates and just as expected the pants did not disappoint. It was a cold season in Montana so it didn’t get any testing in the rain but performed perfectly in the snow.
I picked up the jacket this year to add to the collection. For some reason it seemed the jacket was a lighter weight material than the pants. That surprised me a little.
I too sized up on the jacket for layering but not the pants. Different for everyone though.
Happy hunting.

Reactions: mcseal2

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I as well used the set for a season....mine is not completely over yet. Overall, I really like the performance of the set. I’m really impressed with the jacket. I’ve used it all season, from the tree stand, to the mountains, to busting brush. The pants are great as well. The only issue with the pants, they got a tear in the inner thigh relatively quick. Not sure if I snagged on something or if it just tore? I’ll call KUIU and see if they could possibly fix them. But, again, overall I really like this set as soon as temps start to drop!