Kodiak blacktail advice

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
It looks like you have it zero'ed in pretty well. I always feel a touch under-gunned with a .270 on Kodiak but actually they're just fine. My last hunt there, two years ago, was with a 7mm-08. I ran into bears but none too threatening.

The Wiggy's waders will be fine for that time of year. Remember warm boots, it's cold then. I'm not familiar with the ones you mentioned.

Also, you'll generally get trustworthy info from the air services. Of the places I've been, those guys coordinate and cooperate with each other better than anywhere else.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Late, but I finally got my account back working on here on the new computer.

We had a tough hunt but had fun. We lost some days to weather on the front side, and only really had one good hunting day while we were in the field. It's Kodiak, have to expect some of that. We made the most of that day though and got 2 bucks. My buddy shot a really nice 3x3 with eyeguards, and I got a pretty decent one too. The other 2 in our group did not end up tagging out. 3 of us got invited on a boat based hunt next year so we are going to try that. We ended up camping for our hunt in November. We had a good camp.Under cook tarp.jpeg Glassing with sun best.jpegJeff and Steve coming to camp in rain.jpegCamp best.jpegMy buck best.jpeg

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Late, but I finally got my account back working on here on the new computer.

We had a tough hunt but had fun. We lost some days to weather on the front side, and only really had one good hunting day while we were in the field. It's Kodiak, have to expect some of that. We made the most of that day though and got 2 bucks. My buddy shot a really nice 3x3 with eyeguards, and I got a pretty decent one too. The other 2 in our group did not end up tagging out. 3 of us got invited on a boat based hunt next year so we are going to try that. We ended up camping for our hunt in November. We had a good camp.View attachment 44737 View attachment 44736View attachment 44735View attachment 44734View attachment 44733
Looks like Alaska next year for us and a trip to Kodiak is on the agenda for sure.