IT Band Problems

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
So after a long bout with plantar fasciitis, I've got some serious issues with my IT band tightening up on me to the point I can't walk. It all started after I tore my ACL in the backcountry deer hunting, I had to rely on other tendons and muscles to get my fat butt out of the wilderness that was the most excruciating pain I've ever went through. Fast forward 8 months and some serious physical therapy, I've healed up pretty good but any time I go hiking, especially side hilling my IT bands start screaming almost to the point I can't keep walking. Anyone got some insight on what a guy could do?? I've used a rolling pin and rubber band to help work the stiffness and pain out, but it keeps coming back when I go out for a day in the hills. I want this crap gone!!!!

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
I should have clarified. I have a foam rolling pin and have been using it in conjunction with my rubberband to preform the stretches and workin the small muscle groups. I'll check that contraption out, thank you!!

Arrowslinger

Feb 27, 2011
NorCal
Keep rolling each day, multiple times. Or look up " quad baller", it's a little more pinpointed and painful, yet effective.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
IT band syndrome can be a giant pain. I have dealt with it in the past. Foam rolling and stretching help a lot but strengthening the muscles that support the IT band can help keep it from coming back. A strong butt and strong core help a lot. Made the difference for me.

I found this at the most helpful plan for getting rid of my IT band issues. Hope it helps you as well.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/itbs-iliotibial-band-syndrome

---The video is very helpful.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
IT band syndrome can be a giant pain. I have dealt with it in the past. Foam rolling and stretching help a lot but strengthening the muscles that support the IT band can help keep it from coming back. A strong butt and strong core help a lot. Made the difference for me.

I found this at the most helpful plan for getting rid of my IT band issues. Hope it helps you as well.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/itbs-iliotibial-band-syndrome

---The video is very helpful.
Very helpful thank you!

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
I've been fighting ITBS for about a month. I quit running for three weeks, but can only go about 3 miles before the pain is pretty intense.

I started foam rolling last night after this post and holy cow.... the pain was so intense that I was sweating bullets... but it feels a little better today. I'll start the whole stretching/strength process and see how it goes for a week or two. My races start in a month, so I don't have much time.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Yeah you know when you've pushed yourself to far when you start the foam rollin. The stretches and rollin this morning seemed to loosen things up a little emote than normal. We'll see how softball goes tonight that usually is a pretty good indicator:D

Arrowslinger

Feb 27, 2011
NorCal
Yeah you know when you've pushed yourself to far when you start the foam rollin. The stretches and rollin this morning seemed to loosen things up a little emote than normal. We'll see how softball goes tonight that usually is a pretty good indicator:D
How'd softball go? Some guys i run with it's taken 6 months to heal up from ITB issues, others can get it knocked out in 3 days. I get it, heck i have it now from running, but i hit the roller and it's gone, only coming back periodically.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Thanks for asking Slinger, it felt pretty good actually hit a couple in the park homers and both times I really turned the heat on around 2nd base and the legs were feeling good, about the 6th inning they started tightening up on me. I had a deep ball hit to left field I was chasing down and the combination of running side ways and full speed really pulled it, I was hurting pretty good after the game. But I got home took 4 ibuprofen, rolled both sides for about 10-15 mins each and iced for 20 and went to bed. This morning I was pretty tight but no pain and the whole day I was pretty good walking around our pastures checking cows!

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
I have been following the video for a couple of days (doing it 2x/day) and it seems to be helping. I was able to run 3 miles on Wednesday without pain so I will bump it up to 4 miles today and see how that goes.

alaskan

Jun 3, 2014
Grizzly, how is it feeling? I am an athletic trainer that used to work on world class athletes for this issue. Let me know if you still need some advice!

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
Alaskan, I'd love advice if you have some.

In addition to lots of icing, I've been doing side planks, side leg raises (with exercise band and holding for 5 seconds) and side-steps (with exercise band), jump squats from the video, and lots of stretching and foam rolling and I have seen a major improvement. I ran 5 miles on Friday outdoors and didn't feel anything until after mile 3, and then it was minor tightness and never intense or acute.

I rested on Saturday and Sunday and ran 3 miles Monday at a slightly quicker pace and didn't ever feel pain (I did feel tightness at one point, but I stopped and stretched it and it felt better). I plan on trying 4 miles on Wednesday and 6 miles this weekend to see how that goes.

Let me know if you see something I should be doing differently. The last week of June I am in a relay race where I have legs of 9 miles, 3 miles, and 3 miles... so I am trying to get to that level of fitness within the next 3-4 weeks.

Last edited:

forest ninja

Feb 16, 2014
I like a 4" diameter PVC Pipe. Has zero give and I can really find the knots in the IT bands and work them out. A lacrosse ball works well too. Just remember, "no pain face"! Good luck!

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
First extremely heavy hike coming up this weekend. Packing salt blocks and molasses to set up trail cams for the archery hunt. Will have several loads in excess of 75lbs hopefully things have been healing up a little!