Idaho Sheep hunting

muleyhunter92

Feb 25, 2011
Idaho
Anyone had a tag in the middle fork country lately. I see the success rates are down. Heard the herds had some die off. I have been putting in for the last eight years with no success. I've put in for 27-1, 27-2, 26, and 20a. Just curious if anyone has been in that country and seen anything lately.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I drew 26 in 09'. As i worked in Big Creek for an outfitter i was there all season and about 2 weeks ahead of season scouting. It was a very hard hunt and the sheep were few and far between. Once season started i was guiding elk hunters so i couldnt hunt for myself much. I finally got a week right before the end of the season and was able to find a ram. Wasnt a big one, but with the amount of effort i put in i have no regrets on pulling the trigger. I did hear that in the 26 late tag, someone dropped a monster. I am not sure which 27 tag it is, but i know one of the head guys for the middle fork lodge, and in the past few years they have taken 3-4 rams for clients that scored between 166-178. Those guys know the country very well though, and put in lots of days scouting before hunters show up. In all, yes i believe the numbers are down and the hunt is hard. You would need to devote a good chunk of time if you want a quality ram.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Rocks on the steepest face of a mountain on Big Creek. Wasnt exactly a pleasant place, but i didnt go into expecting a nice flat spot to be where the were hiding. If I could change one thing it would be that i had that late season tag, definitely a lot better hunting in that more sheep are on the river getting ready to rut. That Frank is so big, the early season has the sheep so spread out it is more luck at getting on sheep. I did see 2 rams during scouting way up high where even my horses were of no use to me, but as you said they were in the timber a long distance off and i only got a quick glimpse and never saw them again. From what i saw it was a good ram. It was a fun hunt, but also a stressful one. When i checked my ram into F&G there was a guy in there pouring over maps who had drawn a 27 tag. He had already made 2 trips into the area and had yet to find a sheep. He was definitely more stressed than i had been, and understandably so.

thump&dump

Mar 29, 2011
It looks like 27-1 has had a better success rate this last year than the previous years it was 50%. and it has the most tags offered perhaps that is the one to look at.