Idaho DIY Fall Bear

MNbearhunter123

Jul 8, 2014
Does anybody have any advice on a fall idaho bear hunt? 2 years ago I hunted the Spring season down in unit 39. I talked to a couple biologists and Game and Fish guys that directed me to a particular area east of Boise. After a week of hunting we were not able to cut even so much as a single scat pile or track. It was beautiful country and full of elk and deer but not a bear to be found. This fall I was hoping to return and try either a backpacking spot and stalk or a baited hunt. I was looking at unit 12 to bait or possibly unit 1 to backpack but am alittle in the dark as far as my best option. I'll have a couple weeks to play with in mid September. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

newguy220

Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
I haven't been in either of those units, but the best advice I can give is pick out one of the two bear units, units where you can harvest two bears in with the second tag, focus on them they will have your best chance at finding a bear. Lots of bear's get pushed around in Oct. during most of the general seasons, so that is usually the best time to be trying to spot one in almost any unit because the added pressure tends to get them bumped around more.

newguy220

lang

Nov 11, 2013
Sorry didn't see this earlier. Unit 1 is loaded with bears. No bait or dogs due to grizzly numbers= tons of blackies. That would be my first choice hands down for a spot and stalk hunt. Never hunted 12 but guided in 10 for several years and it's good also. 12 should have more open terrain, but less bears than 1.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Only advice I can offer is to be the predator, not the prey! :)
Sorry, couldn't help myself. Good luck out there!