Help with iron sights

Lbuch40

Oct 22, 2021
I bought a used .30-.30 Winchester model 94. At 50 yds it shoots 2” low (150 gr. RN) even with the rear sight adjusted on the highest notch. Would like to zero it at 75 yds. What am I doing wrong?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
On your rifle do you have a screw on the front sight that can be loosened where you can lower or raise the front sight?

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I bought a used .30-.30 Winchester model 94. At 50 yds it shoots 2” low (150 gr. RN) even with the rear sight adjusted on the highest notch. Would like to zero it at 75 yds. What am I doing wrong?
I have three of those rifles. You must not have the right sight, front or rear. All of mine are over 100 yards when rear is maxed high.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You can install a new lower front sight. Remove the front sight (If I remember right, they come out drifted to the right as the dovetail is slightly angled). Put it on a flat surface and measure the height. Got to Brownell's or Midway and buy the next higher sight and install it. Should solve your problem.

Lbuch40

Oct 22, 2021
On your rifle do you have a screw on the front sight that can be loosened where you can lower or raise the front sight?
No screw on the front sight. But on further investigation I discovered the is one more adjustment up. Nevertheless, it seems I should be able be in the middle at 50 yds.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Whatever happens you need to lower the front sight. The only time that I have seen where you need to max out the elevation ramp is for those longer shots 200 + yards.

If your front sight is a ramp you can try filing it down, if it is a bead you would be better off looking for a lower one.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Lbuch40

Oct 22, 2021
Whatever happens you need to lower the front sight. The only time that I have seen where you need to max out the elevation ramp is for those longer shots 200 + yards.

If your front sight is a ramp you can try filing it down, if it is a bead you would be better off looking for a lower one.
Yep. Went to Marbles website where they have a chart to determine which sight will provide the amount of change you need based on the height of the existing one. Just placed the order.

Lbuch40

Oct 22, 2021
Its amazing how little the sight height needs to change to get a 1” difference. I needed a 4” change to reach 0 @ 50 yds

Lbuch40

Oct 22, 2021
Thanks! But won’t know till it gets here. Sure would like to kill a deer with it this year!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you know that it is shooting 2 inches low at 50 yards then just adjust to hit where you want to hit.

I have a 41 magnum pistol that its sights have no more adjustment and it shoots 4" high at 50 yards. I just figure that into my sight picture before I pull the trigger.

Lbuch40

Oct 22, 2021
Thought of that, but I do like to hold at the bottom of aiming point so as to not cover my target.