Hart barrel...???

T.S. Allen

Aug 19, 2012
Wyoming
I shoot a Remington model 700 30-06. I have never been much into rifle hunting until recently. I am wanting get out to 600 maybe even 1000 yards. I have been looking at getting a longer barrel. Hart has them up to 30 inches. I don't know enough about barrels to make a very informed decision.
The other question I had was the twist. They advertise everything from 8" to 18". What do you recommend and why?
I have always shot 165 grains for elk and mule deer. I am open to trying some new loads. I have heard that 110 grain would be a good load to shoot.? Thank you all in advance for all your advice.

canvsbk

Apr 8, 2012
Michigan
It sounds to me like some research and study should be in order...
When it comes to elk bullets, weight is your friend. Hart makes great barrels as do many, many others. Hauling a rifle with a 30" barrel around in the mountains would be absolutely zero fun. There's a great deal of difference between shooting 600 and 1,000 yards. A .30 caliber 110 grain bullet would not be considered a long range bullet, but they are quite pleasant to shoot. Good luck on your search.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The myth of long barrels being better came from the black powder rifles. BP generates a lot more velocity in longer barrels. In todays modern rifles a 30" barrel will get you a small increase in velocity, but the weight and handling penalty far out weight any advantage you get with the extra length.

The 110 gr bullet in a 30-06 is a pretty poor performer because of its sectional density and ballistic coefficient. Canvsbk is right about bullet weight being your friend for elk. I use a 180gr Nosler Partition and it does the job for me.

Is there anything wrong with the barrel that is on your M700? Do you reload? Unless you tailor make a load their you rifle "likes" you probably really don't know how it will perform at longer ranges. Just my take after building lots of rifles and reloading for over 50 years!

T.S. Allen

Aug 19, 2012
Wyoming
There is nothing wrong with my current barrel. I am just getting started and wanting to gain any info I can so I do this right.
OBVIOUSLY more research is in order. That is precisely why I came to the forum. I am merely gathering info so that I can make a more informed decision to start out and not spent a bunch of time and money that I don't have researching with trial and error. With the help of knowledgeable shooters in the forum I hope to learn more about long distance shooting and what grain will best suit my needs. I will not be hunting elk with a 110 grain bullet. I was thinking of coyotes and maybe a speed goats but nothing larger than that.
I have never really shot over 300 yards. I do have a reloading kit and I will be loading my own. How much does a 30" barrel add? It doesn't seem like a few inches of steel would really make a big difference in overall weight.
Liken I said I am just getting started and I truly do appreciate all the info.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
T.S. Allen,

MOst long range hunters use heavy-for-caliber bullets because their shape gives them an aerodynamic advantage over light-for-caliber bullets at long ranges. This aerodynamic advantage can be quantified, and that quantificaiton is called Ballistic Coefficient (BC). The higher the BC, the more aerodynamic the bullet.

In order to shoot long range, you are going to need a sighting system that can account for the trajectory of the bullet at extended ranges, as well as wind deflection. Even light wind can have a big effect on a bullet at long range.

You will need to learn how to use and think in measurements of angle like Minute of Angle (MOA) and/or Milliradians (MIL).

My best advise to get started is to read the books and watch the videos of David Tubb.

EDIT: Now that I really think about it, tubbs' information can be highpower competition specific, and you may do well to check out Shawn Carlock's Defensive Edge books and videos.

Last edited:

canvsbk

Apr 8, 2012
Michigan
This is a very slippery slope you're on ......
As far as barrel weight goes it of course depends on the contour you choose. It would be a good use of your time to look up the website long range hunting and spend some time there, lots of great info.
BB is spot on with the ballistic coefficient explanation, but I've always felt that some of the numbers some bullet manufacturers come up with would require some form of voodoo to duplicate.
Some pretty high end optics are the norm on long range rifles, you'll need to learn to dope the wind and practice - practice - practice.
The whole deal can get a bit pricey but sure is fun!

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
T.S. Allen,

Hart makes very good barrels. If you are going to use this rifle for hunting, a 30" barrel is going to be a pain in the azz to carry around. It will be significantly heavier and more difficult to handle. Even stand hunting for whitetails, a 30" barrel is not practical IMO. You can go to the Hart web site and send them an email requesting the weight of the 30" barrel in a given contour, probably gonna be 5.5 pounds or more. Caliber choice is a personal thing, but if you are talking about shooting at 600+ yards, there may be better calibers to look at. Also, like Bitterroot Bulls stated, the optic that you put on this rifle is very important. Good Luck

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
There is no magic in shooting long range. You can't spend mega bucks on one of the ultra long range pieces that you see on these hunting shows on tv and just go out and do it. Even if you did, it would take lots of HARDwork at the range shooting at all the distances you want to be good at. Your shooting system (I hate that term!), gun, optics, ammo and YOU need to be tuned and work together, and that takes practice.

I've been shooting for 60 years and I still spend endless hours at the range. Yes I enjoy it and have the time, but just like an athlete, to keep your skills at a high level of profiency it takes lots of practice.

Good luck......and get to your local range and start poping some caps:cool: