Happy Day

GAVet2002

Nov 26, 2018
Tomorrow non-res OTC elk tags go on sale...I am stoked...Have a small group of vets planning to descend upon Fork Morgan Creek area in 36B for the B season next fall. One concern I have is that my buddy mentioned by B season last year, there was a significant amount of snow on the ground and it was in the negative digit temps. While I did grow up in Michigan, I have become a little bit of a light weight living in GA. My reading is telling me to look in the forested areas for elk once the snow flies, other than that, putting in miles and playing the wind, any tips are much appreciated.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Tomorrow non-res OTC elk tags go on sale...I am stoked...Have a small group of vets planning to descend upon Fork Morgan Creek area in 36B for the B season next fall. One concern I have is that my buddy mentioned by B season last year, there was a significant amount of snow on the ground and it was in the negative digit temps. While I did grow up in Michigan, I have become a little bit of a light weight living in GA. My reading is telling me to look in the forested areas for elk once the snow flies, other than that, putting in miles and playing the wind, any tips are much appreciated.
bring good glass . get high and glass, glass , glass. I don't mind hiking when I must but would much rather let my eyes do the work.

GAVet2002

Nov 26, 2018
Will do! Do they post the hunt dates when the tags go on sale or is it, buy the tags then figure out in a month or two what the dates are?

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Don't know what state,but when the snow gets deep the Elk/Deer will migrate to lower elevations.
Your correct,thick cover and play the wind.:cool:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Will do! Do they post the hunt dates when the tags go on sale or is it, buy the tags then figure out in a month or two what the dates are?
if you look at this years regs it will give you a pretty good idea of what next years dates will be. they typically don't change much from year to year.

2019 regs will be out around the end of april.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Don't know what state,but when the snow gets deep the Elk/Deer will migrate to lower elevations.
Your correct,thick cover and play the wind.:cool:
generally true but sometimes big bulls will winter at timber line .

have learned over the years elk will do what elk will do.

just when you think you have them figured out they will prove you do not.