Grizzly bear in the Bitterroot.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
It actually is at least partially about management skills. We simply forgot how to manage predators for a while and are now being forced to deal with new predators in places they have not been before and numbers like we have never seen. This isn't just about bears, but also lions, wolves, coyotes, etc.. There used to be few wolves in the US, now they have populations from the great lakes to Mexico with sightings in places like Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, etc... That all happened in the last 20 years. Even Coyote populations are booming recently as more are living in urban areas where they are not harassed like they can be in rural areas.

Predators have risen in numbers substantially the last 2 decades and it's time our game managers catch up. I understand they are somewhat hindered on griz but the other species like black bear, lions, wolves, and coyotes are within their control for the most part so they have nobody but themselves to blame.
I think the rise in coyote pops has more to do with price and less people out trying to kill them.

the season here on yotes is open 365 so I don't know what else they could do short of bounties.

wolves are still out of their control ,simply because , while many buy a tag, very few actually target them.
same actually goes for blackbear and lion.

most hunters carry a just in case tag but do not really hunt them.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
When's the California reintroduction scheduled??

maybe a ballot measure would get approved??

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I think the rise in coyote pops has more to do with price and less people out trying to kill them.

the season here on yotes is open 365 so I don't know what else they could do short of bounties.

wolves are still out of their control ,simply because , while many buy a tag, very few actually target them.
same actually goes for blackbear and lion.

most hunters carry a just in case tag but do not really hunt them.
You are exactly right! As a former fur buyer during the 70's, 80's up until 1990 I can promise you that coyotes (and all other furbearers) are "managed" by fur prices. I've spoken to Game & Fish managers about this and the effect coyotes have on the deer, antelope, etc., but I basically get a polite eye roll from them. These biologists have their heads buried in the sand.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
You are exactly right! As a former fur buyer during the 70's, 80's up until 1990 I can promise you that coyotes (and all other furbearers) are "managed" by fur prices. I've spoken to Game & Fish managers about this and the effect coyotes have on the deer, antelope, etc., but I basically get a polite eye roll from them. These biologists have their heads buried in the sand.
So basically we need to convince the chinese that they need coyote body parts for some reason and create a market like antlers, bear gal bladders, shark fins, etc...

Or convince someone famous to wear coyote lingerie to start the craze.

I never have understood fur prices as some years muskrats are worth good money, and others they are worthless. I have no idea what drives demand for things like muskrat fur I guess. But I assume whatever it is it's overseas.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
So basically we need to convince the chinese that they need coyote body parts for some reason and create a market like antlers, bear gal bladders, shark fins, etc...

Or convince someone famous to wear coyote lingerie to start the craze.

I never have understood fur prices as some years muskrats are worth good money, and others they are worthless. I have no idea what drives demand for things like muskrat fur I guess. But I assume whatever it is it's overseas.
I like the lingerie idea.
perhaps eastmans could start a line and put some models displaying it in their magazines:rolleyes: