Got my muzzleloader load!

Wanted to try some Thor bullets in my favorite muzzleloader. I decided to give 90gr Goex 2f a try along with a 250gr .500" Thor conical. The results were outstanding! I was planning on using the 250 REAL conical for elk, but after this, theres just no reason to NOT use the Thor
1st shot 75 yards.

2nd shot, 100 yards.

3rd Shot, 100 yards

With that slight choke in the barrel I did make sure to swab between shots, I wasn't willing to take the risk and have to beat the bullet down. The cleaner is actually water/windex and some dish soap that will spray out in foam form, i used up the original contents long ago. The gun scrubber was the last step to make sure the Bolster and bore was completely dry of moisture. Its almost like carb cleaner but safe for my stock finish, dries in seconds.

I honestly have no clue who made the rifle, it shows it was a home built by the looks of some inletting where they started to carve out the barrel under rib in the wrong spot before correcting it LOL. Other than that small spot inside the stock forearm area, they did a gorgeous job. Has a Siler lock, smooth crisp double set triggers and the bore has very deep .010-.012" grooves. Shoots patched balls like a dream, i think thats mainly due to the deep rifling being able to grip that patch so well.

Some more pics

I'll have to say though, the rifle originally had blade sights on it, traditional style, but for the life of me, i could not see them at all when the sun was out. I ended up spending 48 bucks on the Hi Viz sights and after that, my accuracy just all fell into place. It may take a little romance away from the rifle, but this is a hunting weapon, not something that sits up on a wall to look pretty.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Thanks for sharing.......Thats a very nice piece of wood. Those Thors look like the way to go, nice group for a hundred yards.