GoPro or Similar Recording Device...?

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Anyone use a GoPro or other filming device that is not a handy-cam or digital camera? I've been intrigued with them for a few years. Seems "GoPro" is a household name and what everyone calls the device they use no matter the brand. Like using a Kleenex to blow your nose. There are dozens of tissue companies out there, but most call them by the same name- Kleenex. :)

I like the GP 8. It has a lot of great features, but also lacks some basic things you'd think it would have for the money. The newly released GP 9 seems to be a bust with malfunctions and such, although it has the features lacking in the earlier GP 7 & GP 8. Seems it's common for the GP to periodically freeze.

Read some good reviews on the DJI Osmo I. Seems tough to beat for the money. The scamdemic has the chips backlogged for the Gen. II. I think it will be good based on their initial offering being so good at a reasonable price. There are a few other brands out there, but seem corky/gimmicky....

I like the fact that some are able to record in 360, which would be great for my hikes and hunts. I like the overhead ariel views. I'd also be using this camera when biking as well. I recently completed a trip from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington DC (345mi). I was able to grab some footage on my phone in a landscape mode perspective and "piece together" a short film. Tough peddling and videoing in landscaping mode isn't easy!

Any insight would be helpful!
Thanks EF friends.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have a go-pro I attach to my bow and it link to my phone that is about 8 years old. It works pretty well but I think I may be a bit outdated. Ha!

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I have a GoPro, it's nice but my one complaint is it eats batteries like candy. If you get one just be sure to get some extras.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Thanks guys. Do either of you have issues with the units freezing up during operation? I've heard this as a common complaint.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Mine will freeze if it overheats. I have the GoPro tripod/handheld mount/holder and it seems to do that more in there. Knocking it from 4K down to 2.7K or 1080 makes that go away, obviously you lose quality if you do. This only seems to happen if I really stress it, like if it's a hot day and I'm in 4k and it's in the sun AND I have it cabled in so it charges while recording.

Reactions: Bonecollector