Gila 2nd rifle elk

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Bear in my Lap

I was trying to post the whole story, but instead I will just put up these photos and some links. During 16D 2nd rifle in the Gila.

Relevant excerpt from my write up:

We sat backs to an alligator juniper about 80 yards up on the hill from the water. The wind picked up and Dave told me to put on my jacket while it was still early. I was zipping up when he said “BEAR don’t move” I froze and we watched as a large boar in the upper 200 weight class range came in to water.
We both got our cameras out and were focused in on the bear when Dave looked up and said “BULL!” A nice sized 5x5 had snuck in and was directly in front of us in my shooting lane, we hadn’t noticed due to focusing on the bruin. The bull walked up to the edge of the hole, dropped his head and wagged his antlers at the bear. The bruin was not in the mood for a challenge and left to go up the hill, directly on a string to us. The elk walks to the edge of the mud and flops down in it and begins to wallow. So I have my rifle on my shooting sticks, right eye looking through the cross hairs keeping an eye on the elk for a shooting opportunity, my left eye is watching this monster bear come closer and closer. Dave is snapping pictures while the bear passes to my left at 7 yards. During this sequence of events I do start to get little shook up, its so unbelievable it seems surreal. The bear walks behind the tree FOUR yards behind us, catches our wind and bolts. The bull caught the movement stood up and started moving to the right curling his lip to see what had scared off the bear"

Some pictures of a very unique encounter:

The bull was an ok 5x5. Wouldn't trade him for a bigger one the way the whole afternoon happened, though.

Attachments

Last edited: