garmin

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
im in the market for a new gps, any tips? i like the new garmin rhino series but good golly i could buy that 308 marlin lever action for the price those boys are gooing for.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
thanks for the info guys! my main reason for getting one is for the new hunting maps sd card, that shows priv prop and public. how will the garmin extrex 20 hold up compared to the oregon 450T. whats the main diff; besides 200 bucks?

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I've had a Garmin Etrex Legend (older one) for years. It's still kicken. Works good for me . I don't even use it to it's full capability so I never purchased a higher end GPS.

Last edited:

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
I have the Garmin Dakota 20. I got the SD card to put in it to show all the private boundaries and everything. It's super easy to use and lets people like me who were born with no sense of direction feel comfortable hiking 10+ miles alone while elk hunting ;)

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
Amazon has a little better prices than Cabelas. Just bought a Oregon 450T. Now I just gotta buy the gps hunting maps.

BobT

Dec 1, 2011
Missouri Ozarks
I have an Etrex Legend HCx, it works great, has good battery life and I got it and the SD card both for about 250 bones all in!

Bob

Wyohunter

Mar 6, 2012
I have an Oregon 450T I think it's one of the best purchases I have ever made but I think I paid over 500 for it then a couple weeks later is was on sale at cabelas for a lot cheaper. I think the Dakota 20 is the best for the money unless there is a sale on the others. The gps hunting map cards are like 100 dollars a piece but they work really well if your hunting small sections of public land. I suggest that you buy a high capacity card and download the maps online that way you don't have to change your card out and you can download updates of the maps from home. If you buy the card with the maps already on them you have to send them in if you want to update them.

BobT

Dec 1, 2011
Missouri Ozarks
If you buy the card with the maps already on them you have to send them in if you want to update them.
I just got an email last week that you can now update the SD card online, my PC has Vista and I couldn't get the trial version to work on it so I bought the pre-loaded card. I was just getting ready to send mine in for an update and had inquired about a free update since I had had mine for less than a year when I got the email. No dice on the free update though.

Bob

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
cabelas has a sale right now on the 450, i ended up ordering it last night. thanks for the input. and jenbickel hunts alone?:cool: haha, good luck everyone, one more long hot month!!!