Game Refuges to be open to Hunting possibly?

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
I came across this in another forum that im active on and have heard rumors about this happening as where CA DFG is considering opening designated state game refuges that are on public land and some that coincide with private land for instance there are some located on US Forest service land and SPI land which you are able to hunt minus the designated state game refugees that are located on these lands. This was propased in 2008 to reevaulate these lands to see if they were serving there purposes which these properties were set aside to no hunting in 1919 for wildlife mainly deer to increase heard denisities and populations in these areas these were not set aside to help any other type of wildlife according to dfg.

After reading this and looking over the maps and comments and what dfg has wrote about this proposal and what they have came up is and what i summarized out of it is that they pretty much said that these lands were a waste and are deer populations have been declining severe since the early 1900's and it sounds like there just opening more land to hunt which is great since one of these is practically my nackyad in a ways but then again though its sad becuase it sounds like dfg has pretty much gave up on our deer and im sure there is ways that they could help deer aka a lion season but im sure theres more to it but in my neck of the woods lions definitely affect are deer.

Just wanted to put the bug in peoples ear for the hunters that reside here in CA and see what others opinions are heres a link to dfgs website with this information and the Ca publics comments which of course all the publics concern is from PETA lovin liberal ppl that are against hunting and all that stuff bout how they might get shot or whatever lol but anyways to post this up and gripe it made me feel better hope this can make sense to ppl i tried interperting this the best i could.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/gamerefuges/#comments

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
Yes there should be even if it was a very limited quota and charged the price of a antelope tag here in the state i would pay that price to go hunt a lion there pretty thick in my neck of the woods the local ranch that i work at sometimes the government trappers have killed 5 in a year and half due to them getting a hold of livestock but im sure they have got there fair share of deer

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Last time I spoke to my California Government trapper friend, they were killing over 300 Lions a year state wide, on depredation permits.

Last edited:

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
Last time I spoke to my California Government trapper friend, they were killing over 300 Lions a year state wide, on depredation permits.
I've heard the same thing. It would not surprise me if more mountain lions are killed in California now these days on deperedation permits than were taken when they had a season. I've been looking for the stats but could not find them posted past 2009. I did find the below post on the Ca fish and game though.

http://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/what-to-do-about-increasing-mountain-lion-attacks/

Last edited:

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
Ya the government guys have been pretty busy the local ranch that i work at off and on these guys have came out and taken 5 in the past year and half and theres still more out there went out shed hunting today and saw tracks all over the place ya some of the refuges that they would open to hunting would be good others not so much for instance the one in C4 that piece definitely helps the deer population locally and if that were to open it would be detrimental to the deer population for my neck of the woods even though that would be more land to hunt its like a double edged sword but we'll wait and see im sure this thing is still a long ways out due to this was proposed in 2008 and now its 2012 and nothing has happened lol

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Cats used be really thick at a place I hunted turkeys near Ione. I know they still are, but not as bad as it used to be. SSS!!! I think we all had our last chance back in I think it was 1997. To bad.