For The Handgun Hunter

memtb

As many of us venture into the mountains chasing Mule Deer or Elk, one of the bounties bestowed upon us is the opportunity to put a grouse in the pot. It doesn’t get much better than enjoying a meal of freshly caught Brookies or a nice grouse or two.

With a rifle, head shots on a grouse are not that difficult. If your a handgun hunter, the head shots are a bit more difficult. This is were a big- bore handgun with shot shells can add another dimension to your big game hunt. A few years ago, I put together some shot shells for my .460 S&W, which are pretty effective at close range. My particular load duplicates that of a 2 1/2” 410......though, the patterns don’t hold together as well as if fired from a shotgun.

The shot shells can also be used for other small game, rabbits, squirrels, ect., as well as snakes and other vermin during the summer outings.

Shot shells for your handgun, can transform it into a truley versatile hunting firearm! From light loads for plinking, heavy bullets for big game, to shot shells for small game and vermin.....it just doesn’t get any better than that!

Photo below is a load of #8 shot @15 feet and a photo of the shot shell pictured beside a 300 grain “plinker” and a 400 grain hunting bullet for the 460 S&W. memtb

Oh....Good Luck to all of you taking to the field!

1600524220477.jpeg1600524155169.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: archeranthony

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
My opinion is to only load them yourself and forget about the ones that you purchase off the shelf at the stores.

The commercial ones are designed for very close shots at mice and snakes, forget about a bird the size of a grouse and you will get laughed at by squirrels and rabbits. You would be better off using the pistol to hit them over the head. I have personally seen grouse that have been shot at just ruffle their feathers a little after the gun has gone off. I once watched a full pattern of shot encircle a bird, the bird then just walked off.

Now if you load them yourself you can use a lot heaver shot that actually might put a bird or small game animal down long enough to finish it off with a stick, rock, or just wringing it's neck.

A few weeks ago I found some shotshells for my .357 and 44 magnums and just laughed at the thought of even using them. I do however have some handloaded up shot cartridges that are quite effective.

Reactions: memtb

memtb

My opinion is to only load them yourself and forget about the ones that you purchase off the shelf at the stores.

The commercial ones are designed for very close shots at mice and snakes, forget about a bird the size of a grouse and you will get laughed at by squirrels and rabbits. You would be better off using the pistol to hit them over the head. I have personally seen grouse that have been shot at just ruffle their feathers a little after the gun has gone off. I once watched a full pattern of shot encircle a bird, the bird then just walked off.

Now if you load them yourself you can use a lot heaver shot that actually might put a bird or small game animal down long enough to finish it off with a stick, rock, or just wringing it's neck.

A few weeks ago I found some shotshells for my .357 and 44 magnums and just laughed at the thought of even using them. I do however have some handloaded up shot cartridges that are quite effective.

Personally, I’d like a little bigger than #8.....but, it’s what I had. The heavier, larger shot would offer greater penetration, but I would sacrifice pattern density. At the ranges at which this is likely to be used......penetration should (fingers crossed) be adequate! As with much in life....often we have tp comprise. memtb

Addendum: shot today at 25 feet. The pattern went to about 2 x to 2.5x the size of the 15 foot pattern. Still somewhat respectable.....for a handgun!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I tried some Speer shot capsules and #6 shot out of my .44 magnum. They worked OK but I went back to using gas checks over the powder and then one over the shot along with #6 shot.

You might not get as much shot into the case but it is a lot deadlier.

Reactions: memtb

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I've got shot capsules and loaded up 100 38 spcl - they'll break a clay pigeon but didn't perform as well on a quail - think I had 7.5 or 8 in there.

Considering trying to get some heavi shot and run with that. Will need to try it out before loading up any more for 38 spcl or 357 mag.