First snow of the year

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
Well, we got our first snow today. I live about 25 miles SW of Helena in the Helena National Forest and about noon it started snowing. They are predicting more snow through Saturday morning. I'll be elk and deer hunting during the rifle general hunt time frame (21 Oct. through 26 Nov.) so at least it looks like it'll be much cooler than it was last year and maybe we'll have snow on the ground too.

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
Yep, great thing, many folks prayers have been answered. As for it sticking around during rifle season, unless your hunting over 8000 ' I would doubt much of this snow will be around by next weekend. But it is truly a blessing to final have some moisture and put an end to this terrible fire season.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
Yep, great thing, many folks prayers have been answered. As for it sticking around during rifle season, unless your hunting over 8000 ' I would doubt much of this snow will be around by next weekend. But it is truly a blessing to final have some moisture and put an end to this terrible fire season.
You may be right but I think this winter is going to surprise people, just like this current storm. It's been snowing since yesterday at my house (5600 feet on the west side of the divide) and we've got about 5 inches that have stuck so far and the temp is still about 35 degrees. I refer to Accuweather quite often because they've been more reliable than just about any other weather service (at least for long range predictions in my area) and they are predicting snow, rain, ice with temps swinging from the 20s at night to around 50 during the day for the last half of October. We're already seeing snow earlier this year than last and I suspect that it will stick earlier too.

Last edited:

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
We've got a foot of snow on the ground and it's still snowing, that's about 10 or 12 hours of snowfall without a break and they say that we should see the snow stop around sunup so another 10 or 12 hours of snow should make things interesting. I hope the guys that are out bow hunting are well preparred.