First Scouting Trip 2019

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
I really needed an alpine fix, it was a very stressful and hectic spring with little time to get out and hike the mountains around here. I wouldn't have time for an overnighter but I could get out for a day before we leave next week for holidays. I had been trying for a couple of years to get into a larger alpine lake accessed by a trail that started less than 2 hours away. I decided to head in there, find the trailhead, hike into the lake and spend the better part of Saturday fishing for cutthroat trout and glassing the surrounding meadows/bowl for mule deer. I wanted it to be a relaxing trip so I didn't pack a rifle for black bear, I really did not want to deal with everything involved with killing an animal. I didn't even want to be tempted so the rifle stayed at home.

I'm at the trailhead by 7:00am, the forestry road in was steep with numerous waterbars but my old Ford seemed to relish being back in the mountains getting a good stretch. The trailhead is right at 1830m so I was into subalpine right away, unfortunately I was into fog almost as soon as I started hiking. I t got thicker the higher I went. Really hard to glass alpine meadows and bowls if you can't see them. Oh well my heart and lungs were pumping, Mountain Bluebirds were everywhere, Blue grouse were thrumming, and I was on a mountain I had never explored! So what if I couldn't see it. Within an hour I was at the junction where the left fork leads off the ridge down onto the pass that would lead me to the lake and the right takes me on to the summit.

I go left but the fog was super thick and I can't see 50m, within 200m I'm onto a snowfield. The pass is absolutely choked with snow, it's steep and I can't see 50m let alone 500. I'm reluctant to venture into the fog on the snow without crampons or snowshoes so I head back up onto the ridge and head for the summit. I can't see a way to skirt the pass so I decide to get to the top and see what there is to see. I can only hope the fog will lift, burn off or I hike out above it.It's become more of a hiking trip than a scouting trip. By the time I got to the avalanche shute leading to the saddle below the summit the sun made a brief appearance, and by the time I was on the saddle it was a bluebird day. I could only see to the north but I had an eagles eye view of the lake, the meadows leading down to it, and the surrounding bowl. I spent a couple of hours up there glassing, drinking tea, and eating my lunch. My little Leupold 15x30 compact picked up three bucks in one of the meadows on the eastern side of the bowl so the trip was not a total bust. I didn't wet a fly, didn't get to hike the meadows down to the lake or cut firewood for a pack trip this fall. I did get into the high alpine and blew the cobwebs out of my brain.

Already planning a return trip later in July with my oldest daughter for some fishing, further scouting and stash some firewood. My youngest daughter and I will be heading in there for youth season and see if her second mule deer can't be an adventure.DSCF1885.jpgDSCF1884.jpgDSCF1876.jpgDSCF1880.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mcseal2 and LCH

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Awesome!

"Blew the cobwebs out my brain" -well put-we all can benefit from a day or two for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Sometime in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to do a day trip to an area I hunt for elk. Need to check out another old 2 track I found. Just need to get away and back up there. Have to get caught up on all the yard work, irrigation and weeds after being gone to Alaska for a month.

conibear

Oct 15, 2017
Great photos, looks like the Eagle Cap here in OR. Is living out west the best or what?

Thanks for sharing, stashing firewood is a boss move. You two will have a great hunt.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
Thanks for sharing, stashing firewood is a boss move. You two will have a great hunt.
My hunting/backpacking partner and I have always made a habit of leaving a bunch of firewood stashed at the various camps we've set up over the years(just a fire ring, firewood, and a couple of levelish tent sites near a creek or alpine lake). The past three years I've got into the habit to go in scouting and cut more firewood at the sites I used the previous autumn. Sure is nice to get into camp and not have to get all dirty and sweaty bringing in wood. Not to mention quiet. Makes camp set up an absolute breeze.

Last edited:

jackmartine2000

Jul 2, 2019
I really needed an alpine fix, it was a very stressful and hectic spring with little time to get out and hike the mountains around here. I wouldn't have time for an overnighter but I could get out for a day before we leave next week for holidays. I had been trying for a couple of years to get into a larger alpine lake accessed by a trail that started less than 2 hours away. I decided to head in there, find the trailhead, hike into the lake and spend the better part of Saturday fishing for cutthroat trout and glassing the surrounding meadows/bowl for mule deer. I wanted it to be a relaxing trip so I didn't pack a rifle for black bear, I really did not want to deal with everything involved with killing an animal. I didn't even want to be tempted so the rifle stayed at home.

I'm at the trailhead by 7:00am, the forestry road in was steep with numerous waterbars but my old Ford seemed to relish being back in the mountains getting a good stretch. The trailhead is right at 1830m so I was into subalpine right away, unfortunately I was into fog almost as soon as I started hiking. I t got thicker the higher I went. Really hard to glass alpine meadows and bowls if you can't see them. Oh well my heart and lungs were pumping, Mountain Bluebirds were everywhere, Blue grouse were thrumming, and I was on a mountain I had never explored! So what if I couldn't see it. Within an hour I was at the junction where the left fork leads off the ridge down onto the pass that would lead me to the lake and the right takes me on to the summit.

I go left but the fog was super thick and I can't see 50m, within 200m I'm onto a snowfield. The pass is absolutely choked with snow, it's steep and I can't see 50m let alone 500. I'm reluctant to venture into the fog on the snow without crampons or snowshoes so I head back up onto the ridge and head for the summit. I can't see a way to skirt the pass so I decide to get to the top and see what there is to see. I can only hope the fog will lift, burn off or I hike out above it.It's become more of a hiking trip than a scouting trip. By the time I got to the avalanche shute leading to the saddle below the summit the sun made a brief appearance, and by the time I was on the saddle it was a bluebird day. I could only see to the north but I had an eagles eye view of the lake, the meadows leading down to it, and the surrounding bowl. I spent a couple of hours up there glassing, drinking tea, and eating my lunch. My little Leupold 15x30 compact picked up three bucks in one of the meadows on the eastern side of the bowl so the trip was not a total bust. I didn't wet a fly, didn't get to hike the meadows down to the lake or cut firewood for a pack trip this fall. I did get into the high alpine and blew the cobwebs out of my brain.

Already planning a return trip later in July with my oldest daughter for some fishing, further scouting and stash some firewood. My youngest daughter and I will be heading in there for youth season and see if her second mule deer can't be an adventure.View attachment 23645View attachment 23644View attachment 23642View attachment 23643