Elk unit 48

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
Ok, I have 9 points for elk and probably going to apply next year.
I know a couple guys who hunted 120 but I don't have the points for that. But next door in 48 I should. That being said they had access to a ranch in 120, the same ranch has land in 48, so that is kinda the plan as of now, lol!
Just curious if anyone has had any experience in there or am I just dreaming? I'm just going off what they say and heard while they hunted out there, I have not been in that area yet, thanks for any pointers or any advice, much appreciated!

Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I work some in that Lysite to Lost Cabin area, I've seen some good bulls in there, be a fun place to hunt. If you got access to land that holds elk, that'd be even better.

Reactions: mnhoundman

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I’ve hunted both 120 and 48, probably on the same ranch your buddy hunted. 48 is a little tricky with all the private but it does hold some really nice bulls. If it is the same ranch that I am thinking, they have much better hunting in 120 than they do in 48. I would be happy to share the limited information I have through a PM.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Anyone have insight on 123 and 113? I think they just do an elk season every other year??
Yes, that is correct, there are every other year options there. Both can be fun hunts, I never drew those areas but lived in that area after college. Personally due to public access I would hunt an area with higher public percentages.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
Yes, that is correct, there are every other year options there. Both can be fun hunts, I never drew those areas but lived in that area after college. Personally due to public access I would hunt an area with higher public percentages.
I guess it looks like I won't have enough for 113 but maybe 123. I have a cousin in wright, so he could probably get me into some private stuff there, that kind why I'm looking there

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
Well still undecided, if anyone has any other areas for me to look into with 9 points , I'm all ears! Could probably swing a trespass hunt to if anyone has anything they know of, thanks a bunch fellas!

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
My son is graduating college this December, he has 10 points. I have been researching like crazy, and it seems like 9-10 points is sort of no man’s land. He really wants to hunt this fall so we’ll probably put in for 48.