Drawn for unit 36 New Mexico

bobgrimm

May 5, 2012
I've been putting in for over a decade and finally got drawn for New Mexico. Does anyone have any info they would be willing to share for archery elk, second season unit 36 New Mexico? Thanks

Bob

bern0134

Feb 22, 2011
Sandia Pueblo, NM
Should be a good tag. Are you going to be able to get to scout any? I would say try around Nogal Peak. There's the White Mountain Wilderness on the west side of the unit. I killed a bull about 10 years ago in that unit. If you're really good at calling you might be able to call one of the monsters off Mescalero Apache Reservation if you get near the boundry

bobgrimm

May 5, 2012
I'm not going to be able to scout any as I live in the State of Washington; 1400 miles away. So, I plan on hunting the entire 10 day season. Thanks for the input.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
I hunted for a week in January for archery deer there this year and saw some big bulls, but not sure they'd be anywhere near there in Archery season.

Jeremy

Apr 3, 2012
NM & TX
Here is a unit 36 bull to wet your appetite. I killed him in 2010. I grew up about an hour from there.

elk6.jpg

elkhunt2.jpg

c-ne-elk

Mar 10, 2011
I had to be the one to deliver you some bad news. The Little Bear fire in unit 36 has destroyed over half of unit 36. Most of the "primo" hunting area of 36 was all burned. While hunting burns can be great, it might be a little early to hunt these burns this year. Here is a link that shows where the fire burned (and it's not totally out)
http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2903/