Devil Birds

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Heading out tomorrow with the Wirehairs to chase Chukar. I am going to hit the Steens in SE Oregon in the afternoon then down to the Pine Forest area in Nevada till Monday. After bow hunting for Elk this has got to be my favorite pastime. Don't get me wrong, I love to hunt everything but there is something about chasing these birds with good dogs in Sheep country that gets me going. Besides them being awesome table fare, it also helps me stay in shape!!

NVBird'n'Big

Veteran member
May 27, 2011
Reno, NV
Good luck sounds like an amazing time! Go take revenge on those sons'a'bitches for me! Nothing beats a wirehair with a big fat red legged devil in it's mouth.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Of all the upland game birds, Chukar are my favorite. Love to hunt quail too, but nothing beats the terrain that they live in. The windswept, lava hills of the Mojave and Owens Valley are just magnificent country to be in. The whirring of their wings as they explode from the rocks just gets my heart pounding! I have shot a few in north central Nevada, but mostly in Calif. First started hunting them in the late 50's , early 60's when they were first planted.

Sad thing about them (along with a lot of other fish & game) is that under today's philosophy of game management, they would not be introduced here as they are not a native species. The good thing is they fill a niche in our habitat that has no other game birds, giving us a lot more opportunity to have fun!!!

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
View attachment 11749

This was in 1975 when we used to be able to get permission to hunt on China Lake Naval Weapons Center. More birds there than I have ever seen. Still there, but no more hunting, to much weapons testing going on. In the 80's I was there for work during a lot of testing for the B2 Bomber. Got acquainted with the base security chief and we managed to get out and shoot a few after work a couple of times.

This picture was taken just after a snow storm and the hunting was unbelievable, birds everywhere. Just about ran my Springer into the ground. The lava cut his feet up pretty bad, but he still did his job.

My buddy in the window was giving us the "bird" because he stayed in bed instead of hunting with us. Needless to say he heard about it for years.

Last edited:

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I couldn't agree more...they are my favorite bird to hunt and eat also!! They always show me how out of shape I am and that I need to get to the trap range more often!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
View attachment 11749

This was in 1975 when we used to be able to get permission to hunt on China Lake Naval Weapons Center. More birds there than I have ever seen. Still there, but no more hunting, to much weapons testing going on. In the 80's I was there for work during a lot of testing for the B2 Bomber. Got acquainted with the base security chief and we managed to get out and shoot a few after work a couple of times.

This picture was taken just after a snow storm and the hunting was unbelievable, birds everywhere. Just about ran my Springer into the ground. The lava cut his feet up pretty bad, but he still did his job.

My buddy in the window was giving us the "bird" because he stayed in bed instead of hunting with us. Needless to say he heard about it for years.
I'd like to see the photo, but it appears the link is broken. :(

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Well we pretty much got rained out. For an area where they normally pray for rain, Noah would have been able to float the Ark! We got in a few hours on Friday afternoon in the Steens Mountains in SE Oregon, got a little damp but picked up a few Chukars. Went to bed in Denio Nevada under clear sky's but woke up during the night to the flood! My buddy and I decided it might be better to call it a trip and head back to Central Oregon. As we passed the Steens I had the hair brained idea that maybe if we stayed in the rocks we might be able to get in a short hunt before going home. Big mistake. After climbing to the top the heavens opened in a mix of rain and snow. By the time I got back to the rig my Lowa Tibets were covered with so much gumbo you couldnt tell if they were even boots! Cold soaked and whooped we stopped by the little store/cafe/gas station, the only commercial building at Fields, to ask if we might be able to change in a back room. Not only were we allowed to do that but Sandy the owner gave my friend and I both two towels and insisted we take a shower in the back room to get warmed up! What a great bunch of folks there! And by the way the cafe makes one mean milkshake!! Hoping to get some better weather and head back out a day or two after Christmas. All in all it was still a good trip. I made some new friends in Fields and I got the first retrieve from my 6 month old Wirehair pup!

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Well, at least you had an "adventure"!! That first retrieve is always fun for you and the dog! Congrats.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Absolutely AKaviator! It was a great short adventure. One you talk with your buddy with a few years later starting with "Remember When"! Most but not all have a silver lining - this one did!

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
Had to butt in because in the short they had posted for this thread all I saw was devil bird and immediately thought of chukar. Haha