Colorado Mountain Goat Success

eye in sky

Mar 4, 2011
Conifer, Colorado
Congrats! It looks like your son was having a blast. That 2nd pic looks STEEP in the background.
Thank you! He was super excited. He turns 12 this month and has 4 tags this fall. He’s ready to hunt!
It was steep country. The goat rolled twice on me. I ended up dressing him when he got stuck between some small trees.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Congrats!
Did you pack it out yourself? any idea on the weight or how many loads/trips you made?
What cartridge were you shooting?

I passed up a billy, I'm starting to question if I should have... long season in MT though, hoping to get back there and get'er done!
Tough hunting!Screenshot_20220928-184549.png

Last edited:

eye in sky

Mar 4, 2011
Conifer, Colorado
Congrats!
Did you pack it out yourself? any idea on the weight or how many loads/trips you made?
What cartridge were you shooting?

I passed up a billy, I'm starting to question if I should have... long season in MT though, hoping to get back there and get'er done!
Tough hunting!View attachment 41653
Thank you!
I carried the hide and skull with my rifle and camp. The taxidermist said the hide and head was around 60lbs+. My son and buddy carried the meat. 85ish pounds roughly. I used 7mm magnum. I shot him 3 times. I talked to a few guys that had been on multiple goat hunts and they all said to keep shooting until it goes down for good. They seem to be pretty tough critters. I really wanted to put him down so he didn’t roll all the way down the mountain and bust his horns.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskyMusky