Cold Weather Jackets

I’m looking for a cold weather jacket for backpacking. I have the Under Armour Capture Fleece Jacket. It is quiet, breathable, durable, and fits my body type perfectly. However, it is on the heavy side, not the most packable, and does not keep me as warm as I had hoped when glassing for long periods of time.

I’m looking for a jacket that can perform well in temperatures that fall a little bit below zero, is very packable, and lightweight. After researching a little I have found the Sitka Kelvin jacket and the North Face Diez jacket as possible candidates. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with either of these jackets?

sticknbiggens

Mar 10, 2011
Wyoming
Check out the Kuiu line. I picked up the Spindrift jacket last fall and love it.The insulation properties of this jacket are amazing. I can feel the heat retention IMMEDIATELY after putting it on. It surprises me every time. It's super light weight, comfortable and can't be beat for the price. I pair it with a first light Merino wool base layer.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have a Patagonia Micropuff jacket that meets your criteria. A base layer, the micropuff, and my Sitka 90%, and I am good down to zero. Add in the king of warmth to weight: the Patagonia R1 pullover, between the base and micropuff and I'm set for the Iditarod.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I like the North Face. Very packable and lite weight. I really like down For that reason. Mine is 800 fill and works great!

Quiethunter

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I like down for this. I use an Eddie Bauer First Ascent, but any 800 plus fill packable down will do the trick. The North Face should be good. With base layer, fleece, down layer and a pac-lite gore outer I can stay plenty warm. I bought the First Ascent at an Eddie Bauer outlet store for about 100 bucks in gray and have loved it every since.
I don't dislike the sythetics, but good down seems to insulate better than the best synthetics - instant warmth.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I have a Sierra Designs Gnar Hoody, 800 fill. It's a great jacket and it packs down really small. I just wish I would have got the jacket instead of the hoody. The hood always gets in the way if I put my shell on over it.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Check out Rab Clothing. Lightest weight jacket on the market and as warm as one could ever want. They have it in Mango which works well for orange requirements. Neutrino Endurance is the specific jacket. Can't go wrong.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I wish there was a clothing line that made high performance gear for hunting. Unfortunately most of my hunting clothing comes from hiking/climbing companies... Mt Hardware, Patagonia, Rab, Mammut and Marmot. All great lines.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I work out side all the time. I work at 7000 feet at a mine and right now its cold there. Most mornings its well below 0. I have found a good hoodie over a thermal shirt, along with a down vest over that, is plenty of warmth for the core and breathability for the arms.
If you already have a good breathable base layer or light jacket but would like a boost of warmth, try adding a down vest. They are extremly lightweight, and dry out very well if they get wet. Camp dry is a great way to help keep them water resistant if its raining out.
Right now is a great time to buy them too, as stores are begining to clearance their winter stuff out.

Jul 28, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
I know this about cold weather jackets and Im sorry for hijacking the thread, but what is the best camo rain jacket these days? I noticed that the UA Denison is on sale now. Anyone use that for rain/snow layer?

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I know this about cold weather jackets and Im sorry for hijacking the thread, but what is the best camo rain jacket these days? I noticed that the UA Denison is on sale now. Anyone use that for rain/snow layer?
I have not tried this one... i know it's so cliche but I LOVE the Sitka downpour series. It really is a great high quality product.