CO Unit 481 Mule Deer

kabushnell

Feb 22, 2011
I am looking at applying for this area for an early season archery mule deer hunt. I am looking for a backback hunt above timberline. Based on my online research this looks like a decent area and also includes 48, 56 and 561. Anyone have any other info on this unit to help me decide. How is the terrain, will I be able to find the basins for early season bucks? Good public access, etc. I know people don't like to give up specifics but just looking for general info to see if this would provide the type of hunt I am looking for. The other area I have been looking at is 18 which includes 27, 28, 37, 181 and 371. Any info on these units is also much appreciated.

Thanks!

jjh

Mar 11, 2011
Gunnison, CO
The best I can tell you is not to waste your time in 56 or 561 or the south part of 48. The bucks that summer there, winter between Sargents and Gunnison. Therefore, they were victims of the winter kill a few years back and are now few and far between.

sticknstring

Jun 5, 2011
I drew 48(elk and mulie)-this will be my first time in there.Any advice or direction would be appreciated.
I'll let you know what happens/ I see....

May 28, 2011
Colorado High Country
For deer get in there early and hunt high! Be sure to be there the first 7 days of the hunt. While glassing high you will likely find some elk. However, the rut won't be till the last couple weeks of the season. Good luck there are some good animals to be found in there.